Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand Reserve Uniform?

Scorpion61

This photo was taken in Auckland, New Zealand in around 1895.

The man did not serve in either the Boer War or WWI and died in 1917 of cancer, so I presume it was some reserve uniform.

Can anyone identify?

post-89779-0-80026300-1366938860_thumb.j

I don't see any identifying badges, however the photo appears to be about 1890's and I would think he is a member of an Auckland militia unit, anything on the reverse?

khaki

ps., Bartlett took the 'Gold Medal" at the Auckland exhibition in 1895, which, as it is on the photo confirms the approximate date. Rereading your post it appears you may know who he is, if so check with the Auckland Museum and also maybe the National Archives on line service.

(k)

Thanks Khaki,

Yes, it is a photo of my grandfather, Morton Edwin Baldock, b 12 Dec 1875, d 27 Jan 1917.

I am guessing we would have been 18-21 so the photo would have been taken 1893-6.

So with the Gold medal awarded to Bartlett in 1895 the photo would have been post that date.

I thought someone might have recognised the braiding on the cuffs or the belt buckle.

I will follow up on the leads you have given. Thanks again.

Checking the Auckland War Memorial Museum website, I see photos of the Auckland Volunteers whose uniform has two breast pockets so that rules them out.

There is also a photo of a Trouper, 5th NZ Contingent, C Squadron, South Africa, taken in 1900 that shows a uniform without pockets, and the same epaulettes and collar as Morton BAldock is wearing, but unfortunately does not show the cuffs. It could well be a Boer War uniform, but I am sure he did not serve there

Hi Scorpion,

Please remember that some colonial militia units may have been, behind the times, with what was available in uniforms. The belt rig is slade-wallis and the buckle is standard QV imperial style consistent with the belt.

khaki

The uniform is either a Royal New Zealand Garrison Artillery (Vols), or a Royal New Zealand Engineer (Vols) and shows the ubiquitous 9-button tunic (either dark blue (RA) or scarlet (RE)) with yellow cord trim forming an Austrian knot on the cuffs and tracing the collar.

For artillery it would have been more normal to wear a collar grenade, for the RE less so and from the general shade of the print an engineer seems more likely.

While the Royal New Zealand Engineers Corps formally came into existence in 1902, their origins were in the 19th Century 'Volunteer' sappers (later TF).

He is also wearing a belt and locket from the Slade Wallace equipment and a RE cross belt and pouch.

post-599-0-34684300-1366993411_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-48513600-1366993509_thumb.jpg

Yes... just looking at Robert Henry Bartlett, he moved his photography business to Reefton about March 1891 to January 1892. I see he won a gold medal as early as 1879. Have you checked papers past, you might pick up his address in Queen Street in one of his advertisements. Might give you a time frame for his premises there.

http://canterburypho...1/bartlett.html

After a scratch around on Papers Past I have come up with bit of a time line for Robert Henry Bartlett.

1886-1882-3 Photography business is called 'Bartlet & Co' and the photos are embellished with that name. Partnership is dissolved 1893. Queen St, Auckland.

1882- 1890 Photography business is called 'R H Bartlett' and the photos are embellished with that name. Queen St, Auckland.

post-49999-0-35888900-1367059817_thumb.j

1890 Robert Henry Bartlett sell is business to F W Edwards. Re-prints of Bartlett's are still made available from Edwards. Queen St, Auckland.

1890 Robert Henry Bartlett's son, W H Bartlett, sets up a photography business in Devon St, Auckland.

1891-1892 Robert Henry Bartlett moves to Reefton.

after 1892 no more mention of R H Bartlett Photography.

1893 W H Bartlett moves to Queen St, Auckland. He embellishes his photos with the 'Bartlett' name.

1993- 1912 W H Bartlett in Queen St, Auckland. He continues to embellish his photographic work with the 'Bartlett' name.

post-49999-0-20788000-1367058208_thumb.j

As for the gold medals, I found R H Bartlett winning them from as early as 1879 to 1887. And W H Bartlett winning gold as early as 1889, 1899 and a silver in 1904. I gave up looking after 1904.

Hope this helps a little, well it really only confirms what you already know that the photo is taken after 1893.

Frogsmile, most excellent work as usual. I always greatly enjoy your informative posts.

Yes... just looking at Robert Henry Bartlett, he moved his photography business to Reefton about March 1891 to January 1892. I see he won a gold medal as early as 1879. Have you checked papers past, you might pick up his address in Queen Street in one of his advertisements. Might give you a time frame for his premises there.

http://canterburypho...1/bartlett.html

Frogsmile, most excellent work as usual. I always greatly enjoy your informative posts.

Always glad to help Wendy, especially my Old Commonwealth brothers and sisters. :poppy:

The uniform is either a Royal New Zealand Garrison Artillery (Vols), or a Royal New Zealand Engineer (Vols) and shows the ubiquitous 9-button tunic (either dark blue (RA) or scarlet (RE)) with yellow cord trim forming an Austrian knot on the cuffs and tracing the collar. For artillery it would have been more normal to wear a collar grenade, for the RE less so and from the general shade of the print an engineer seems more likely.While the Royal New Zealand Engineers Corps formally came into existence in 1902, their origins were in the 19th Century 'Volunteer' sappers (later TF).He is also wearing a belt and locket from the Slade Wallace equipment and a cross belt and pouch.
Thanks to all, khaki, Frogsmile and Wendy M.Morton was a Carpenter so I am leaning towards the Royal New Zealand Engineers rather than the Artillery. And as you say, he is not wearing the collar adornment of the Artillery.Wouldn't he have looked dashing in his scarlett uniform!Thanks again ... I will now read up on the Slade Wallace equipment!Dennis W

Edit:-

When I convert each tunic to grayscale, the RA tunic is closest to the photo, however the braid stands out on both grayscale images, not like the photo at all ....

post-89779-0-41157900-1367740017_thumb.j post-89779-0-85270000-1367740054_thumb.j

Don't be concerned about the yellow braid appearing to be very dark in your photograph.

When looking at original WW1 black and white photos and working out the colours of uniforms and medal ribbons the film used at that time has to be taken into account.

Orthochromatic film was almost universally used until around 1920 (then panchromatic started to take over).

This film rendered certain light colours dark and other dark colours light.

As a rough guide:

Red becomes darker, maybe almost black, so black and red look the same.

Yellow becomes almost black

Green is middle of the range

Blue and purple become very pale

Not sure about pure white. Stays very light?

This link to a post by Andrew Upton shows the differences very well.

http://1914-1918.inv...4 #13

The whole thread has a lot of information, if you are interested in finding out more.

CGM

Here are some colour images to show you how the dress looked, complete with head dress. Unlikely the infantry the pattern of tunic worn by engineers changed very little at all and is still worn by the band today. Notice that the cross belt was a distinct part of the uniform. The officers pattern was gold laced and had a distinctive central wavy line.

In the older image the print is reversed from the nagative and so the cross belt 'appears' on the wrong shoulder.

post-599-0-24548000-1367749456_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-87474000-1367749467_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-04497300-1367749480_thumb.jpg

That is very interesting understanding the differences in film stock.

From http://1914-1918.inv....entry1376076 we have in post #112.

• Original photograph on Orthochromatic Film
  • Modern Colour pic
  • Mock-up of Panchromatic Film

post-89779-0-46045500-1367811731_thumb.j

Certainly looking at the yellow in the ribbon, it comes out much darker in Orthochromatic than Panchromatic. Also I see what you mean with the Red ... comes out almost black.

I am convinced! I believe we are looking at Morton Edwin Baldock, aged 21 in 1896, wearing the Scarlet uniform of the Royal New Zealand Engineers (Volunteers).

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Dennis W