Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cape Helles - a Turkish Fuse

Sepoy

As today is the 98th anniversary of the landings at Gallipoli, I thought I should post some photographs of a rather phallic looking Gallipoli souvenir (my Wife has even banned it from the front room mantle piece!)

If anyone can tell me anything about this small Turkish Fuse, which is about approximately 65mm in height with the head being around 38mm across, I would be very grateful. It seems to big to be a pom pom shell fuse.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-08867700-1366909590_thumb.j

I believe that M.J.P.S. was 2nd Lieutenant Maurice James Peel Scully, 1st Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers who joined the Battalion at Suvla Bay on 5th September, 1915 (he is shown as H T P Scully in the war diary). He left his Battalion at Cape Helles on 17th October, 1915, when he was returned to the UK due to a dislocated cartilage.

He later joined the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force, serving with the 37th Squadron. However Lieutenant Scully was cashiered during 1919 for being absent without leave and for behaving in a scandalous manner, unbecoming the character of an Officer and a Gentleman (cashing cheques with insufficient funds in his Bank Account).

He died on 24th August, 1947, in Kensington, London.

post-55476-0-80648200-1366911347_thumb.j

If anyone can tell me anything about this small Turkish Fuse, which is about approximately 65mm in height with the head being around 38mm across, I would be very grateful.

This appears to be yet another fuse that was made for the Turkish 75m gun. I have identified 3 separate versions that I know of and this is another which I haven't seen before.

This one is unusual in that it doesn't seem to have the normal time graduations on a lower ring. The script will definitely help with the exact ID but will require some translation. :huh:

Cheers, S>S

So I think it could be an earlier German designed fuse for one of these guns, or something similar, but definitely in the 75mm.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-07486100-1366985254_thumb.j

S>S

Thank you for identifying the fuse and for posting the photograph of the actual field pieces.

I would be interested to see any photos of the variants if you are able to post them.

Many thanks

Sepoy

I would be interested to see any photos of the variants if you are able to post them.

Here is one of the more common 75mm variants, showing the rotating time graduation ring, numbered from 2 to 64 in seconds. These were locally made.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-13838400-1367058854_thumb.j

S>S

Thank you for posting the photograph

So is my fuse just the centre of the above fuse (ie missing the timing rings etc) or is it a separate fuse in its own rate. I have a number of Turkish fuses like yours, including one used by my Great Great Uncle to grind coffee beans acquired from the French, when he served at Cape Helles. I will photograph and post them later in the week when I next get a chance...

Best regards

Sepoy