Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with ordnace corps

Lonnie D56

Sorry if im thick but i am trying to get some info on my granddad who served during 1914-1918, he was originally in the west somerset yoemanry from 30.1.1914 until 30.1.15 he then enlisted in the army ordnance corps 31st october 1915. I have his demob certificate which gives date of demob as 26th july 1919. My mum says she knows he saw some service in ireland during the troubles and was in the desert but i do not have any of his service record or his medals, there is no mention of medals on the demob paper ( i would put a pic onto this of his dmob paper if i knew how to do it...help would be app.) It would appear that his regt number was a/2338 and serial numb.23661. it does state he served over seas.

Any tips greatly appreciated

Lonnie

Lonnie,

You mention your grandad was in the 'desert' and Ireland, interestingly - the 1/1st West Somerset Yeomanry served at/in Gallipoli 1915, Egypt 1915-17 and Palestine 1917-18. The 2/1st West Somerset Yeomanry remained in the UK throughout the war and were sent to Ireland in May 1918 with the 2nd Cyclist Brigade, stationed at Athlone until the end of the war.

If your grandad was with the 1/1st West Somerset Yeomanry in October 1915 when he transferred to AOC, he would have been at Gallipoli - the 1/1st WSY landed at Suvla Bay on the 9th October 1915.

I will post details of the 1/1st WSY extracted from 'British Regiments 1914-18' by Brig. E. A. James and 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' by Ray Westlake, sometime today.

Ronnie.