Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mont Notre Dame CCS 27th May 1918

fjones4

My Grandfather who served in the 2nd Battalion East Lancashire Regiment, died of wounds on 27th May 1918. He is buried at Vailly British Cemetery. The CWGC informed me recently that he was previously buried at Mont Notre Dame Military Cemetery. This was attached to the Casualty Clearing Station at Mont Notre Dame. I have read Fred Ashmore's excellent article in 'Stand To' about the CCS but I am wondering where the CCS and Cemetery were located. The CWGC have given me a precise map reference (Sh.10.2.H.10.30) This is a reference to a IWM map which is in the process of being digitised and will not be available for some considerable time. As there is no trace of the CCS today, I wonder if it would be possible to pinpoint its location. I know from photographs that it was close to the railway. near the road to Quincy. Has anyone ever accessed this map in the past? I have been researching the Aisne 1918 battle for many years and have visited the area. I wonder if anyone might be able to help with the precise location. I really would be very grateful for your help,

With thanks

fjones4

I can't help with the exact map reference given (Sheet 10 in 1:10,000 to 1:40,000 and in 1:100,000 scale are in totally different locations and it doesn't ring true for a French map reference either), but, should you encounter a 1:10,000 to 1:40,000 (British) reference, the extract below (From Sh.75 and dated May 1918) might help with the location?....

post-357-0-36236700-1367242309_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have been away and have only just seen your reply. Thank you for the map - it is helpful and thank you for supplying it.