Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bullecourt burials, BBC report

Dragon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22253147

The GWF is credited with helping Lt Pritchard's relative. Link provided to the WFA, which appears to have supplied an insightful comment.

Gwyn

We were mentioned too on the Radio 4 Today programme, unfortunately we were described as "The War Forum". But, it's a day for the fallen, and their relatives, and that is after all what matters.

Keith

Edit I have emailed the reporter who wrote the BBC website article asking if a link to the GWF can be added.

John Humphrys seemed surprised that there would be such a forum. Perhaps someone ought to brief him.

He also asked Lt. Pritchard's great-niece if she knew him. She explained that her mother was three when he died. JH is usually sharper than that.

Anthony

i agree, Anthony.

I did e-mail both the Today programme and the defence correspondent whose piece is on the website, in case he is willing to get the link put in. I am just hoping I got his address right, guessed from the formula used years ago when I worked as a freelance in BBC radio. I see Keith has also e-mailed him now so even if I didn't get it right, I expect he did.

Liz

All I can say about that, is that the email has not bounced back as yet.

Thanks Liz for sending yours, Today has happened, and won't be repeated, the website article will be available for much longer, so I reckon it's more important.

Keith

...Today has happened, and won't be repeated...

Very true - but it's just in case another story comes up, so that JH might sound a little less unbriefed!

Liz

I haven't heard the interview. I see a link has now been added.

My view was that if it is hoped that other people will be encouraged to find their relatives, it would be useful to provide links to online places where help is readily available. It's unhelpful to tell people that it can be done and then not point them at how. The link to GWF is now there.

Gwyn

Well spotted Gwyn. I didn't get a reply, but the link is the important thing. Thanks to Liz, and anyone else who contacted the BBC.

I totally agree gwyn, we might have a few more people registering over the next few days.

Keith

It sounds as though the studio staff didn't brief the interviewee very well prior to going on air, and of course it was early in the morning of an emotional day.

Here's a link to the programme. The interview starts at around 1:44.25

Some excellent photos of the reburial of the human remains in this article, who is the gentleman dressed in WW1 garb in the second picture?.

Article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2313402/British-soldiers-Private-Christopher-Douglas-Elphick-Lieutenant-John-Harold-Pritchard-buried-France-96-years-killed-action-WWI.html

Regards

Norman

I don't think it was the interviewee's fault as there seemed to be a delay on the phone line causing Humphreys to talk over her replies. Humphreys could simply have said 'there is a slight delay on the line' like any good broadcaster would have done but this was not a hard hiting interview so why bother?

The interview was a bit painful as Humphreys adopted a patronising voice so much so that his 'The What Forum?' seemed to be somewhat forced bewilderment.

Further, I was under the impression Humphreys wanted to hear a sensational story of inspired detective work and DNA, The interviewee seemed to take the wind out of his sails when she told him that identification was from a ring found on the body of her relative.

The Today programme is a poor shadow of its former self where Humph, the ever laughing Evan Davis and Justin 'Up Himself' ask a question, finish the answer as fits their view of events or simply say 'mmmmmm I see' which is designed to undermine what has just been answered.

Maxi

Well, they may not have got our name right on the airwaves, but it seems plenty of newcomers have found there way here today - 125 altogether, as compared to 29 registrations on Monday.

Welcome everyone, and happy hunting!

Ref Post 19 was the gentleman in the WW1 uniform an official invitee and was he there with the full approval of the family and the regiment?, if not and he just “turned up” I then take it that it is in order to carry a rifle whether it is real or a replica in public such as here. Perhaps someone can shed further light on this matter. Whilst we of course remember the two named soldiers buried here we should also remember the seven unidentified who were interred on the same day in this cemetery.

Regards

Norman

Thank you Seadog, remember all the men interred on that day.

Crimson rambler

Thank you Seadog and others for posting these links. I watched the clips this morning. Quite moving, actually.

thank you

peter

I haven't heard the John Humphrey's interview but, having talked to both Jennifer and Janet Shell on the day, I can categorically say they were both as enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the occasion as it is possible to be. When I was talking to them It was clearly a major event not just for them but for all generations of the family that were represented. Indeed some of the youngsters were visibly moved by the occasion.

They were both also extremely complimentary about the GWF so perhaps a bit of courtesy is in order.

Neil

Taking Neil's point, and with the benefit of hindsight I have removed some posts, including one of mine, that while innocent in intent, don't need to remain in view.

Keith