Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Service Number 212641

Tim Knight

Any advice on who Service Number 212641 was originally issued to? From what I understand, it was part of a batch issued for use for RNAS Officers. If my research is correct, it would originally have been F12641 with the F being replaced by a 2 when the RAF was formed. I know I can find Service Numbers of RNAS Officers if I know the name. Any suggestions on the reverse?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim

RNAS officers did not have service numbers in line with all other officers at that time. Nor did RAF officers.

You have an RNAS 'Other Ranks' number which initially were prefixed 'F/' until the merger with the RFC to form the RAF.

If you can give us any more details about the source of the number etc, we may be able to help a little further.

The range of Numbers :: 210317 ~ 225060 were allocated on April 1st 1918,to RNAS enlistments of 1916,You could try checking the RAF Muster Rolls @ NA{In Person} which are in Numerical order ~ Which in Theory should give you a Name,Date of Enlistment Rank & Qualification/Trade,Rate Of Pay Etc.

From Muster List

212641 Simms W.H. a carpenter RNAS & RAF:rank A.Mech 1 RNAS & RAF:enlisted 16/3/16 pay 4/- enlistment duration of war.

From personal lists his full name William Henry Simms. No further info held ;)

216220 was F16220 John William Underwood who enlisted in June 1916 as an Aircraftsman Promoted Leading Aircraftsman 15Dec1916 and Petty Officer Aircraftsman on 1st February 1918 He was a disciplinarian enlisted for duration of the war. No more info available

216220 was F16220 John William Underwood who enlisted in June 1916 as an Aircraftsman Promoted Leading Aircraftsman 15Dec1916 and Petty Officer Aircraftsman on 1st February 1918 He was a disciplinarian enlisted for duration of the war. No more info available

I hae come across the term "disciplinarian" in the RFC - normally associated with Sergeant rank - but what did it mean/involve exactly??