Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical checks at Recruitment (establishment of medical boards)

MJROB

Hi Everyone, I am a PhD student at the University of Liverpool and my thesis revolves around the issue of shell-shock. I was wondering whether any members had any advice on information/reading material on how troops were checked for 'mental/neurological issues' at recruitment and how stringent these checks were? More specifically, has anyone any advice on how the establishment of medical boards towards the end of the war effected these issues? MJROB

Jonathan, do you have a copy of MacPherson's "Medical Services General History" ?

Can you tell me if this excerpt from the Attestation Papers of Persons Enlisting for Service Abroad with the Australian Imperial Force describes a Medical Examination which was the same as in Britain?

Thank you for any help you can offer,

Regards

CGM

Page4of49C_zpse4303f83.jpg

Odd that D and BC branding are noted. It was abolished in 1879. If branded at 18 in 1879, you would be 53 in 1914. Bit old to soldier on as a bad boy! I believe the practice stopped prior to 1879 so would any man be branded in 1914 that would be fit to fight.

Corporal punishment is understandable. Flogging/birching was not abolished until after the war. Another sign of a bad lad.

I would suggest that the reference could have been removed from the Medical Examination entry on the form but no-one had taken the responsibility to do this.

It would just about have been possible for a recruit who had been marked in 1879 to attempt to enlist.

I have seen the records of a man who lied about his age and gave his date of birth as Jan 7th 1872 when he was actually born in 1Q 1861. He served in the Canadian Army.

CGM

Thank you very much for your reply, Jonathan.

You may be right about old forms being used - maybe the sudden increase in recruits made this necessary...

However, I'm sorry I didn't make it clear that the excerpt was definitely from a military form and not used by a civilian.

I can't be sure which recruit's form I clipped it from but if, for example, you go to ROBSON, John Leslie (selecting View Digital Copy) you will see the 3 pages of his Attestation Form on pages 1-3. Page 3 refers to his medical and includes the excerpt. It was signed by a Capt. of the Australian Army Medical Corps.

Regards

CGM

Edit:

Now my link has timed out try this:

Click here

Select, under: Australian Army (Army)

WW1

First Australian Imperial Forces personnel dossiers (World War I service records)*

Name Search

Enter ROBSON ETC

If this link times out I'll re-write.

MJROB,

To return to your original question, the excerpt from an Attestation form for the AIF in, #3, makes no mention of 'mental/neurological issues' beyond the recruit personally stating no history of fits.

CGM

Have a look at Blindfold and Alone. Besides the SAD issue it does touch on the subject of neurological issues. It also looks at the post war reports and commissions on shell shock.

Oh, don't be downhearted! I still think the two books you mention would be well-worth reading. I will put them on my wish-list.

CGM

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Jonathan, I managed to find a copy of that book and read that suggested chapter. It made a little reference to 'nervous' injuries but I found the article to be hugley helpful so thank you for bring it to my attention! I'll also explore those journals databases in my quest for more knowledge on recruitment and neurological screening. There doesn't appear to be a huge amount of research into the topic (I have read the recent secondary literature quite extensively) so it may be beneficial to get down Kew and search the archives myself. I look forward to utilising, and contributing towards, this forum more in the future. MJROB.