Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify this please?

mcoome@aol.com

I found an object near Lochnagar Crater on April 5th. Since getting it home I've cleaned it up and wondered if anyone knew what it was. Thank you.Shrapnel1.jpgShrapnel2.jpg

Don't give up your day job :thumbsup:

Mike

He's invented the wheel :w00t: Possibly 60 Pounder?

Mike, you can advise, if his 'tag' is his e-mail address, is it best to change it? I was under the impression that you could be inviting loads of e-mail problems by showing it? Best to be safe mcoome!

Regards,

Sean.

Thanks Mike. Best to play it safe mcoome and lose the @aol etc. Still think its a 60 pounder by the way, but hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will turn up to confirm :thumbsup:

Regards,

Sean.

Yes, I messed up with the e mail thing...can anyone tell me how to edit my user name?

Not sure, but if you click on your user name top right, it will be in your profile somewhere?

Mike

I think you may have to get a mod to do it

I think Mr.C is correct. Contact one of the mods and they will advise.

It is definately a fragment of a shell fuze, British I would guess and most likely a 18 pdr shrapnel fuze. Re dimensions as the shell fuze has exploded it is most likely expanded outwards so the dimensions given are a red herring?

Common item toi find on the fields but nevertheless nicely cleaned by yourself and a memento of your trip.

Regards

TT

Thank you for all the replies. I was very chuffed to find the article and spent a fair time this week cleaning it up. Finding it very close to the lip of Lochnagar was very exciting.