Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WHATS IT LIKE TO DRIVE TO YEPER

BIFFO

I thank you all for your help,most of all I have found out how to spell ypres,will bite the bullet and drivego thro euro tunnel then pray what is the best time to go,last year we went end of march,poor wife got soaked at tynecot,didnt say anything but gave me "that look"what books re battlefield should I read can get hold of major holts tour book.

biffo

A few essentials would be:

Major & Mrs Holts Guide to the Ypres Salient (comes with good map)

Major & Mrs Holts Guide to Western Front North

Before Endeavours Fade (Rose Coombs)

Battles of World War 1 (vital guide) Martin Marix Evans

and for some older comparison 'tour guides' also reflect with the Michelin illuustrated guide to the battlefields -Ypres (now by naval & military press)

Cheers

Ryan

Dear Hilary,

You're very welcome at our little ceremony. I have to be a little approximate on the timings. We plan to have lunch in Ieper and then visit Essex Farm and Vancouver Corner on our way to our hotel in Langemark. We should be at the Brooding Soldier at around 4pm but if there's any change to that I shall let you know. Altogether 17 Bury Grammar School pupils served with the Canadian forces in the Great War, five of whom died. One was Sapper Sydney Olive who was badly wounded just down the road from the Brooding Soldier Memorial in the Second Battle of Ypres. He was repatriated to Toronto and discharged from the army, but died before the end of the war. He is one of the many 'missing men' who died as a result of war service but were not recorded by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. He does appear, however, on our school war memorial. He originally came from Springside in Walmersley, Bury, literally round the corner from my house.

I have a personal Canadian connection. My wife lived in the Toronto area for two years as a girl, and her older brother opted to stay when the family returned to the UK. He now lives in Guelph, famous as the birthplace of Colonel John McCrae.

On left and right, I picked up a tip from a colleague who drives extensively on the Continent. I put my watch on my right wrist when I have to drive on that side of the road. It acts as a gentle but continual reminder.

Driving on the right is no problem, but as others say the classic time to forget is when you set off again after you have stopped for a break or petrol. I've done it more than once and wondered why the vehicle coming to-ward me dosn't pull over, followed by an embarrased swerve as the penny drops!

One thing which hasn't been mentioned are the flasing white or red filter lights allowing you to filter right at some traffic lights. Don't worry if you inadvertantly stop, the car behind will let you know with lots of hooting! Also watch out for traffic lights suspended above the road on wires - often for pedestrian crossings in villages, its easy to miss seeing them.

You lucky people going down in a Morgan!!

Enjoy

Tim

There are 2 things which bother me driving in the UK, roundabouts and, if I was driving a US car, passing.

Paul

I used to have a US car and I live in the UK. IMHO I much preferred driving my left hander in the UK than I do any right hand drive at all - it feels more natural for me to be on the left when I am driving - even passing didn't really bother me to that extent but I will admit that it was a tad tricky on the very narrow roads.

Dee

My problems start when I'm back in the UK. I stop thinking, and have been known to go round roundabouts the wrong way , down the "up" routes in multi-storeys, and pull out of carparks and drive on the wrong side for a while!!! :D

Dave.

Dave,

I thought it was just me!!!

I recon a week doesn't go by without me thinking 'what side of the road should I be on?' It's the car parks that get me..........