Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birmingham Pals Badge

trenchtrotter

As those of you who read my battlefield trip reports will know I recently returned from the Somme in March. The day after I left my mate went over and he is a big Birmingham Pals fan. Anyhow he walked the field that they attacked in late July near High Wood and found this........

I dont have a monopoly of finding items as some of you elude to!!!

Absolutely remarkable, back to back on plates, I assume the soldier reomoved them prior to assault as I think they would be snaggy on webbing? Placed them in pocket / haversack and that was that until 97 years passed. No other items nearby....

And a non relic from my collection for comparison.

TT

post-15846-0-08929400-1366132908_thumb.j

post-15846-0-83249400-1366132968_thumb.j

post-15846-0-37588800-1366133026_thumb.j

Deeply envious - my great granddad was there with the 14th but fatally wounded at Guillemont in August.

This item could not have ended up in a nicer chaps possession. He is a police officer and on his area a veteran had had his WW2 campaigne medals stolen. My friend had an eact same group in his collection which he donated free of charge to the veteren. Not the same medals but at lweast the fellow had the same to wear on 11/11. He was absolutely made up.

Karma.......

TT

Thanks for showing us your friend's find, TT. You had mentioned this at the conference and i was looking forward to seeing it. As you say, remarkable.

Had you lent him your laser goggles or did he simply invest in a pair like yours?

Paul

Paul,

I am currently developing a product for the market however I am prepared to ofer you a prototype model at a one off offer...£2500. However no guarentees provided.

Paypal accepted!

TT