Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID French Artillery Piece

4thGordons

This is from a very small (3x2) print that is quite faded/damaged.

Can anyone identify this French Artillery piece? It looks to me like an old fashioned muzzle-loading cannon/mortar but this is really not my area.

TIA

Chris

post-14525-0-39255900-1366128461_thumb.j

The apparent lack of a recoil system coupled with breech loading would suggest the 6.1 inch Model 1888 used in the early part of the war.

Thanks, the photo was taken in 1918.

Chris

Can't think of anything that primitive still around in 1918 but who knows.

It looks like a de Bange type, possibly 220mm mortar. It has to be after 1915 because of the adrienne helmets.

It was taken during the German advances of 1918, probably in the Marne area based on where the photographer went I think so I suppose anything that was around may have been pressed into service.

The period notation on the rear (this is part of quite a large set) appears to say "French 155mm" which would be 6.1" wouldn't it?

Chris

Yes, on reflection de Bange 155mm

120px-Model_1877_155_mm_gun_Hameenlinna_1.JPG

Thanks very much Steve.

Chris

It is, I believe, a post-1915 modified Canon de 155 C Modele 1881-1912 de Bange-Filloux. The modification is the additional support given to what was previously a 'swan neck' by the use of additional steel support running from the platform base near the breech to just behind the trunnion. There were 108 of these guns available in 1914. There is a photo of an unmodified 155 C here: http://fortification...15c-18-19-3.bmp with a mortier de 270 de Bange in the background). A modified one is here: http://fortification.../155c-18-19.bmp. An even more modified one is here: http://fortificationetmemoire.fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/155c-18-19-2.bmp

Thanks very much for those references - very useful.

Chris

Thanks again.

Here is another one: I think it is probably a mobile Anti-Aircraft gun. French?

post-14525-0-24336000-1366309619_thumb.j

The unit markings on the bonnet appear to say ? Section. ? 75 Automoblie. (see detail scan)

post-14525-0-79373600-1366309604_thumb.j

Chris

From 1915 the French tried to increase the mobility of 75s by transporting them on the back of lorries. They were known Artillerie Portee. This allowed quicker movement and lessened the need for horses. This sytem developed considerably in 1917. Having said that, this lorry looks too small for this to be a full 75. 75s were mounted on the back of lorries for AA purposes by the French and were known as Autocannon de 75. There's a film on Youtube about the them:

Looks a bit like the one in the photo.