Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Cameron Highlanders 1917 - Strange Markings on Jackets

gordon92

Posted below is a photo taken of the officers of the 6th Cameron Highlanders October 1917. It was probably taken to mark the arrival of the new CO Major Fearnley Anderson MC (seated in the center of the 2nd row) from the 1st Seaforth. Sadly, Anderson survived the war only to be murdered by tribesman in 1923 at Landi Kotal while back with the 1st Seaforth.

I have noticed that several of the men have a "W" shaped marking above their breast pockets, some above the right and some above the left. Would anyone know the significance of this "W"?

Any ideas?

d0c8cca28b6b.jpg

It looks to me as though someone has annotated the photo in ink. The man standing (far left) has W (I would guess "wounded") as does the man seated second from the right on the second row whereas the man standing behind him (second from right, third row) appears to have a K which I would guess indicates "killed", as does the tall chap in the center and the man third from the left in the same row.

Chris

It looks to me as though someone has annotated the photo in ink. The man standing (far left) has W (I would guess "wounded") as does the man seated second from the right on the second row whereas the man standing behind him (second from right, third row) appears to have a K which I would guess indicates "killed", as does the tall chap in the center and the man third from the left in the same row.

Chris

I did not think of that, Chris. I would say you are right.

I believe that the man standing on the far right at the end of the second row is a Gordon Highlander. Would you agree?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi there

I agree with Chris. The first standing row has the first man with a 'W' on his breast and the fourth man has a 'K' on his.

Incidentally, I am working on something with the 6th Camerons at the moment. Does the photo happen to have the officers' names on the back? Probably a long shot! I could have a go at a list of their names but couldn't put them to the faces, I'm afraid.

All the best

Patrick

Hi there

I agree with Chris. The first standing row has the first man with a 'W' on his breast and the fourth man has a 'K' on his.

Incidentally, I am working on something with the 6th Camerons at the moment. Does the photo happen to have the officers' names on the back? Probably a long shot! I could have a go at a list of their names but couldn't put them to the faces, I'm afraid.

All the best

Patrick

Patrick,

Thank you for checking in. I am afraid I do not have the original photo. The only two personalities I definitely have is Major Fearnley Anderson sitting in the center with the effusive smile; to his right is Capt Malcolm Moffat who was soon to become Adjutant of the Bn.

It is my understanding that after 3rd Ypres in Aug-Sept 1917 the 6th Camerons received large drafts including many NCOs and men from the 4th Camerons, which had now been broken up. They also received fourteen officers from the London Scottish, with whom sixteen Cameron officers were serving.

I am sorry that I could not be more helpful.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. The drafts of men from the 4th Camerons were in August-September 1916 not 1917 and were replacements caused by the fighting for the Switch Line (12-13 August) and in the capture of Martinpuich (15 September).

I think by October 1917 all the original officers of the battalion were gone, the last ones being wounded or killed at 3rd Ypres. I know from my records that 20 new officers joined the battalion in Anderson's first five weeks in charge so they may well be included in here. There are 34 men in the photo so that suggests it was taken pretty soon after they arrived.

Anderson himself was an interesting chap. Killed at the village of Landikotal in the Khyber Pass along with another officer

All the best

Patrick

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. The drafts of men from the 4th Camerons were in August-September 1916 not 1917 and were replacements caused by the fighting for the Switch Line (12-13 August) and in the capture of Martinpuich (15 September).

I think by October 1917 all the original officers of the battalion were gone, the last ones being wounded or killed at 3rd Ypres. I know from my records that 20 new officers joined the battalion in Anderson's first five weeks in charge so they may well be included in here. There are 34 men in the photo so that suggests it was taken pretty soon after they arrived.

Anderson himself was an interesting chap. Killed at the village of Landikotal in the Khyber Pass along with another officer

All the best

Patrick

Patrick,

Photo of Fearnley Anderson is below. Forgive the duplication if you already have this.

I would be interested in further biographical details on Anderson if you have them.

Mike

5f9861b06f52.jpg