Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The London Hospital

War13Memorial

Reported in the Dundee Courier of 21 November 1914

Charles Alfred Jarvis V.C. was "among the wounded in the Cambridge Ward at the London Hospital".

Was this hospital and ward for soldiers with specific type wounds or was it just one of the many general hospitals ?

Some mentions online but nothing specific, can you tell me where it was and does it still stand ?

Another newspaper report said he "was recovering from an operation, I believe he was wounded F&F September / October.

Anything on above would be gratefully received

many thanks

Billy

According to my Family History and Local History Handbook 2013 the Royal London Hospital does have a Museum and Archives Section.

The address I have is

Royal London Hospital Archives and Museum Trust Archives - Barts Health NHS Trust, 9 Prescot Street, Aldgate, London E1 8PR

Tel No. 020 7480 4823

email rlharchives@bartshealth.nhs.uk

website address www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/museums

I have had no contact with them so I cannot comment on what sort of response yopu may get.

regards

Indefatigable

The London Hospital (now The Royal London) was one of the most prestigious of London's voluntary hospitals (and still is) and took military patients from early in the war, though as a large civil hospital they only occupied a small part of the total. There are a couple of paintings by Sir John Lavery of wounded at the hospital, including this one:

Wounded at The London

Sue

thank you for the responses and links, something to keep me busy

as you say Sue the paintings are very atmospheric and I think rather good

Billy

Being a ex East End lad and have stayed in the hospital a few times in fact married one of its nurses , according to the Mrs ,Cambridge may have been for head injuries it was used extensively in The Great War and in WW2 in fact me dad was admitted straight from Normandy to the London in August 1944 , the museum was not open to the general public and for use of students only ,when my wife attended its exhibits were medical specimens dating back to the 1880s and various instruments .

Have just checked the Mrs copy of The London Hospital Illustriated it states first wounded arrive 30th August 1914 they were conveyed in fourteen vans supplied by J Lyons &co also 200 Belgian soliders were included , games and sitting rooms were constructed and the hospital admitted ORs as well as officers but only officers were allowed eider downs , a few postcards can be found of the lads most common is in King Edward Ward , there is also a Blue Plaque at the hospital for Edith Cavell who trained at the London

And as the hospital featured as the star of 'Casualty 1906,' 'Casualty 1907' and 'Casualty 1909' I really hope someone gets round to 'Casualty 1915.' I rather fancy the adventures of Ethel Bennett and Dr. Culpin in wartime :rolleyes:

Sue

And as the hospital featured as the star of 'Casualty 1906,' 'Casualty 1907' and 'Casualty 1909' I really hope someone gets round to 'Casualty 1915.' I rather fancy the adventures of Ethel Bennett and Dr. Culpin in wartime :rolleyes:

Sue

Except that by 1915 Ethel Bennett had been away from the hospital for about six years. She ended up in Australia, via Shanghai where she was married to someone other than Culpin. I am lucky enough to own a copy of General Nursing by Eva Luckes (Kegan Paul et al, London, 1898) the Matron portrayed in the series by Cheri Lunghi. Proper television.

John.

I really enjoyed that series and remember writing to the BBC at the time it finished asking if they were planning any more. Can't remember what they replied now, must do a search on here.

Now don't spoil my dreams John. Combine the Great War with TV and surely anything could happen!

Sue

Careful what you wish for Sue. They'll be flying her back, non-stop, in a two seater (CGI) Camel!

John.

Here's the topic about Casualty 06/07/09, with the reply from the beeb

Apparently the series was filmed in the old Liverpool Infirmary. Maybe those of us who enjoyed the series should write again requesting a Great War series?

On 16/04/2013 at 21:41, ScorpioUnbound said:

Careful what you wish for Sue. They'll be flying her back, non-stop, in a two seater (CGI) Camel!

John.

Just think what a great finale they could have with the death of Eva Luckes!

On 16/04/2013 at 21:45, CarylW said:

Here's the topic about Casualty 06/07/09, with the reply from the beeb

Apparently the series was filmed in the old Liverpool Infirmary. Maybe those of us who enjoyed the series should write again requesting a Great War series?

That's interesting Caryl as they did, of course, go on to do far more - they obviously took notice of you :)

Sue

Just think what a great finale they could have with the death of Eva Luckes!

Sue

They could have her whizzing around the wards in her bathchair on Armistice Night - but yes, Casualty 1919 and Eva's death would be a proper ending to the series.

John.

I see from the website that reading archives is by appointment only and there

is nothing on line. Unfortunately all too far away for me to travel for what might only be 10 minutes reading.

Would be very interested if anyone else was visiting the archives and could maybe kindly do a bit

of reading for me, I of course would be very grateful

thanks again

Billy