Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Division Insignia

James Brown

Hi sorry better put this in the correct "File"

Its been a while since I was here. Hope you are all well and life is treating you good. Life sort of got in the way for me, now i'm home again and home for good. Call it semi retirement. I call it the big wind down :D

I am doing a small project on Division Patches/Titles. I have researched most Divisions and came up with loads of info.

I have sourced lots of pictures of Divisional patches and some really good explanations as to why these patches were adopted at Division, Brigade and Battalion level.

I am sort of stuck with 10 Divisions and need some help with sources or pictures of the patches and explanations as to why they were adopted.etc.

Therefore im looking for anyone who can help me with Commanding Officers and pictures of Insignia/links/sources of the following;

63rd (2nd Northumbrian) Division - Second Line - Territorial Force - Home Service

64th (2nd Highland) Division - Second Line - Territorial Force - Home Service

65th (2nd Lowland) Division - Second Line - Territorial Force - Home Service - Have picture...need explanation as to why it was adopted, and Commanding Officer.

66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division - Second Line Territorial Force - Have picture...need explanation as to why it was adopted, and Commanding Officer.

67th (2nd Home Counties) Division - Second Line Territorial Force - Have picture...need explanation as to why it was adopted, and Commanding Officer.

68th (2nd Welsh) Division - Second Line - Territorial Force - Home Service

69th (2nd East Anglian) Division - Second Line - Territorial Force - Home Service

71st Division Home Service - Have picture...need explanation as to why it was adopted, and Commanding Officer.

72nd Division Home Service

73rd Division Home Service

One last question.....was there ever a 70th Division?

Many thanks

JB

Were divisional signs used pre-war?

James,

Have you checked the excellent thread by Chris,? search for divisional insignia illustrations...

Colin..

JB,

Here are some Divisional Badges, which may be some of those you are looking for.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-00544700-1366376632_thumb.j

post-63666-0-08703200-1366376642_thumb.j

post-63666-0-67090800-1366376649_thumb.j

post-63666-0-19495600-1366376659_thumb.j

post-63666-0-25361800-1366376705_thumb.j

post-63666-0-59479400-1366376713_thumb.j

post-63666-0-51697800-1366376725_thumb.j

post-63666-0-18546300-1366376736_thumb.j

Were divisional signs used pre-war?

What signs there were for Corps and Divisions were numerical pre war and early war - Divisional signs, bearing designs, arms and territorial affiliations came in to use after a directive from GHQ in 1916 - Men at Arms series by Mike Chappell Brtitish Battle Insignia (1).

685f8311-55fd-4ad1-a0de-2025298e13c5.jpg

Thanks Tony,

I was hoping this mob might come from 26th Division (see insignia on tropical helmets on the right, but now I'm wondering if they might be India pre-war, with the presence of the 17th Lancers badge worn by the chap far left. Also, there are children in the photo, which may be further indication of a pre-war event.

Consulted Order of Battle Of Divisions by Major A.F. Becke and had a look through Divisional and Other Signs by V. Wheeler-Holohon, which is reputed not to be entirely accurate in some respects, but here is what it says, or doesn't, as the case may be:

63rd (2nd Northumbrian) Division - Second Line - Territorial Force - Home Service - no Divisional badge listed - disbanded 21/7/1916. Royal Naval Division numbered as 63rd. 64th (2nd Highland) Division - Second Line - Territorial Force - Home Service - No Divisional sign recorded.

65th (2nd Lowland) Division - Second Line - Territorial Force - Home Service - Have picture...need explanation as to why it was adopted, and Commanding Officer. Divisional badge sign of the Zodiac for Leo chosen by the G.O.C. Major General Forestier-Walker as it had not previously been used and would stencil easily.

66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division - Second Line Territorial Force - Have picture...need explanation as to why it was adopted, and Commanding Officer. Divisional sign triangle in 3 equal horizontal bands light blue/yellow/light blue. Previously used on transport in 3 horizontal bands. G.O.C. 14/11/14 Brigadier General C T Caulfield (Acting), 3/1/15 Brigadier General W R Clifford (Acting), 20/1/15 Major General J C Young, 4/4/1917 Major General C Bingham. 67th (2nd Home Counties) Division - Second Line Territorial Force - Have picture...need explanation as to why it was adopted, and Commanding Officer. Divisional sign 6 7's arranged in a circle with their bases joining - chosen by the COC Major General Hon. Sir Cecil Bingham, apparently as it was self explanatory.

68th (2nd Welsh) Division - Second Line - Territorial Force - Home Service. No badge listed or shown.

69th (2nd East Anglian) Division - Second Line - Territorial Force - Home Service. The Division nver used a sign.

71st Division Home Service - Have picture...need explanation as to why it was adopted, and Commanding Officer. Divisional sign triangle, top half blue lower half red. No particular history or significance. G.O.C. 3/11/16 Bigadier General C T Caulfield (Acting), 6/11/16 Major General Hon. H A Lawrence, 12/2/17 Major General A G Dallas.

72nd Division Home Service No badge listed

73rd Division Home Service No badge listed

One last question.....was there ever a 70th Division?

Hello JB

No, there wasn't. The reference is in Becke's work, quoted in the previous post.

I don't know if there was an official reason, but my understanding is that when three Home Service divisions were formed, it made some sort of sense to call them 71, 72 and 73 rather than 70, 71 and 72. By analogy, Graduated and Young Soldier battalions were numbered 51, 52 and 53 in their respective regiments though none of those regiments had a 50th Battalion, and very few (I think only the Royal Fusiliers) had battalions numbered in the 40s.

Ron