Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War diaries post end of hostilities

jasonmarkwebber

Hi

I have recently been transcribing and putting online the war diary of the 13th Middlesex:

http://13thmiddlesexww1.wordpress.com/

I have so far completed the diary up to and a little bit past the end of hostilities. The diary, however, goes on a full year after the armistice (November 1919) and I was wondering how useful or interesting this would be to anyone?

I don't want to waste my time if no-one would want to see it, on the other hand a bit of me wants to be completest about it. The entries mostly describe the taking on and demobilization of named officers.

I would be interested to know what you think?

Cheers.

Jason

If it were me, I would have to do the whole lot. A completer/finisher under Belbin?? :)

Roger

Great job done Jason. I'd finish it with all the contents of the Diary. Somebody, somewhere, someday might want to know. Regards, Tom.

As John Humphreys says,"I've started so I'll finish".

I have read some interesting bits from the end of hostilities which help to understand how things wound down into 1919.

One that springs to mind is where it was described how it was chosen to run down the unit to demobilisation and in what sequence the soldiers were chosen to return home from France,everyone wanted to get home but weren't chosen to go as a full unit.

Thanks for the encouragement, I will continue to the end!

Recently I transcribed the 2nd Bn HLI. Some of whom joined the Army of Occupation and marched into Germany - the March Table shows their daily progress - a total of 222 miles. The Diary also has a message from the Brig-Gen on saluting the Bn Colours "in enemy country". They later went to Murmansk, North Russia.

post-87018-0-44287900-1366659641_thumb.j

post-87018-0-33022600-1366659792_thumb.j

These are the sorts of 'gems' you find after the hostilities.