Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary 2nd Dorsets request

Johno7439

Does anybody have the war diary of the 2nd Battalion covering April 12th - 16th 1915 (Battle of Shaibah)? I have looked on the NA but fear it has not been digitised yet.

Ewan

I have a copy of "The History of the Dorset Regiment 1914-1919" which draws heavlily on the War Diaries, I will gladly look for something if that's what you require

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, I would love any information concerning the battle. My man, Capt William Reid was killed on the 15th April.

I'll leave it to Malcolm to provide you with the description of the battle, but one thing I noticed: Capt. Reid was wounded on the 15th and died of wounds on the 17th.

Justin H

• 2 weeks later...

Ewan

I apologise for not replying early,it would appear I have a notification issue as I had not seen your reply.

I will sort something out fior you over the weekend.

Malcolm

Ewan

An edited version of 4 pages of "The History of the Dorset Regiment 1914-1919"

05:00 12th April Turks start the attack of Shaiba - Dorsets in reserve with the exception of one platoon and the machine guns which held a point called the Machine Gun Post.

10:00 C & D companies sent up to Kiln Post to which the attack had now been extended, By the time that the first attack had been decisively repulsed heavy losses being inflicted on the Turks. By evening all the fighting had died down and C & D companies rejoined the battalion.

Dawn 13th April British passed to the offensive

Cavalry supported by the 104th Rifles push forward just north of the camp A & B companies take over thier positions - C company had already been sent upovernigh to support the 117 Mahrattas .

06:45 hrs advance started with C company providing cover fire, it soon became evident that this postsitions were strongly held as was a hillock known as the North Mound.

Battalion is ordered to advance and take the North Mound and by 10:50 is taken with hardly any loss the artillery fire being to accurate for the Arabs.

15:00 hrs Battalion ordered back to camp where it spent thenight in readiness.

As far ascould be ascertained the Turks had fallen back to a position east of Barjisya Wood with some forces in Zubair and Old Basra direction and outposts on the South Mound ridge which was the first objective of the advance the next day.

09:15 14th April Dorsets on the left of 16th Brigade lead the advance, South Mound ridge was not serisously defended and artillery sufficed to clear it.

The enemy's main line appeared to just in front of the wood .

For the next advance the Dorset's would be on the extreme left of the British line, C & D companies were in the front line with A & D behind supported by the 117 Mahrattas.

The advance started about noon directed with its left on a watch tower south west of the South Mound.

The advance met serious opposition and casualties soon began to mount but the Dorsets pressed on nevertheless, when the heavy fire started the leading lines were about 600 yards from the watch tower but they pushed on till abpout 900 yrads from the hositle trenches ( they ran at angle to the British trenches) - these were cleverly sited on a down slope and had the British at a disadvantage as they came over the crest our men being only able to fire by kneeling or standing up.

The rear companies were ordered up but the Turks poured in a hail of bullets for a time the advance was held up.

At 13:30 hrs orders were recieved to push on, progress was slow and the line being virtually stationary for nearly two hours about 700 yards from the enemy trenches. It was frightfully hot and lying down in the open with a blazing sun beating down was a terrible ordeal espically as the men started tired, many of them had little sleep for several nights.

Casualties contiuned to mount, Captain Ried was badly wounded.

3 Officers KIA 12 Officers wounded

37 O/R KIA or died of wounds and 115 wounded.

Hope this assists

Malcolm