Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Uncle Charles Desbrow Service Records Download

RedCoat

Hi all,

Could i ask for a favour, i notice my relatives service/pension records are online and i dont have a subscription. Would anyone perhaps be kind enough to have a look and whilst doing so send me some copies please? The chaps name was Charles Desbrow, there was only one but just incase he was RGA Siege Gunner.

All the best, Don.

Hi all,

Could i ask for a favour, i notice my relatives service/pension records are online and i dont have a subscription. Would anyone perhaps be kind enough to have a look and whilst doing so send me some copies please? The chaps name was Charles Desbrow, there was only one but just incase he was RGA Siege Gunner.

All the best, Don.

Do you know which siege battery?

Donnie, you could actually get twoweeks free membership from Ancestry and get not only these papers, but many others.

Just sign up for membership and cancel a couple of days later,you will receive two full weeks free!

Kim,

I am afriad i have done that already, we had a fire here and almost all of my research was lost (was on CDs and PC). Its taking me ages to get what i had back together. I had got everything together since i started my research back in 2007, really upsetting to lose it all.

Don

Do you know which siege battery?

Yeah he was 1st Siege Battery then 39th Siege Battery from memory.

Don

Sorry to hear that Donnie, I hope you get to replace it all (eventually!).

Have you tried it using an alternative email address?

• 3 months later...
Guest dartmoor girl

I have been researching all the men who went to war and were from Princetown. Charles Desbrow was in the 1st Seige Battery RGA. He was left the Army in 1905, transferred to the reserve army and became a civil guard in HMP Dartmoor, until he was mobilised in September 1914.I have his records if you would like a copy. Have you researched his brother Peter Daniel Desbrow, he was also RGA in Portsmouth.

Don, if you still haven't been able to access his service Records, most libraries have free access to Ancestry, so all you need to do is book time on their computer and access them yourself.

PS: Don't forget that you can Copy and Paste them page by page into a Word .doc and then click on each page to bring up the FORMAT button. Click on that and on the far right an option to CROP will appear. Using the Crop "scissors" you can then cut away all the black edges. Resize back to full page and everything should be more legible.

Won't save you the cost of printing at the library but it saves them (and you if doing it at home) a ton of ink.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been researching all the men who went to war and were from Princetown. Charles Desbrow was in the 1st Seige Battery RGA. He was left the Army in 1905, transferred to the reserve army and became a civil guard in HMP Dartmoor, until he was mobilised in September 1914.I have his records if you would like a copy. Have you researched his brother Peter Daniel Desbrow, he was also RGA in Portsmouth.

Peter was my Great Grandfather and yes I have researched him, if you PM me I will be more than happy to share my research.

Regards, don

Hi all,

All the best, Don.

Please note that this request was strictly against forum rules but wasn't spotted at the time. The forum must not be used as a means of requesting downloaded images from sites such as Ancestry as their records are copyright.

Alan

• 10 months later...

Hi dartmoor girl

Charles Desbrow was my grandfather. I have information of him after he left the army until he died, but know nothing about him in the army: except the stories that my grandmother told us about him and his brother Peter. I would be very interested to see the the records that you have if that is possible.

Regards 2ndgrandson

Hi,

Peter Desbrow was my great grandad, i have large amounts of information on all the Desbrows. If you would like to private message me i would be more than happy to exchange info. I have Charles' service records, photos, war diary etc.

Regards, Don.

• 6 months later...

Hi Donnie, I don't know if I am doing this right , not being familiar with any "Blog" page. However, I know this isn't about Charles directly ,but, this picture of Peter seems to have done the rounds.He put a date on this one and the reverse is a message to Nellie, Charles's wife. It also puts him in a place at a certain time.

How do I private mesage you ?

Regards

2ndgrandson

post-112040-0-23063000-1422283556_thumb.

post-112040-0-06133600-1422283570_thumb.

Wow,

I cant believe i have missed this thread, this is only the second picture i have ever seen of my great grandfather. Thankyou so much, please post more!

Don