Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scherpenberg tunnels

roel22

On wikipedia (Dutch) I read there were entrances to British tunnels on the Scherpenberg (south of Ypres) going all the way to Wijtschaete.

That's 7 km in a straight line.

Did these tunnels really go this far?

Roel

Roel, doubt it very much.

early attempts to tunnel into the Scherpenberg gave problems with running sand and were abandoned; there are still 6 or so concrete dugouts into the hill (photo of one attached) but these don't go very deep and whether they ever extended to Wijtshaete......it's a long, long way......and to what benefit for the effort?

Peter

post-2649-0-55355900-1365876958_thumb.jp

Thanks, Peter.

I do recall my parents talking to a local farmer near the Lettenberg a few decades ago, who claimed tunnels ran all the way to Wijtschaete (he personally had been in them shortly after the war...)

Roel

Roel, just been doing some digging (sorry, reading) on info at Scherpenberg. The REs had a lot of trouble with dugouts in the hill and left good records of this.......many problems with the geology (mainly running sand) and abandoning tunnels. Nowhere do they mention the great effort to dig such a long subway, Below is map of the tunnels they did produce.

Also for lettenburg.....one never says never, but again it is a very long way to Wijtshaete.

I hope I'm wrong and one day it may be discovered.....

Regards Peter

post-2649-0-72749300-1365946597_thumb.jp

Thanks, Peter. Must say I also had my doubts when I heard the story...

Roel

• 2 weeks later...

People living in the area still say that these tunnels were going to Wytschate. Who knows ?

In fact, these openings were used as headquarter for the army during ww1

Gilbert Deraedt

Fascinating, Gilbert!

Problem is there are not too many around anymore who had the chance to visit these tunnels after the war.

(Assuming these tunnels reallly exist!)

Roel

• 7 months later...

Oberst Füsslein, who commanded the German mining companies in Flanders, recounted in his memoirs that his superiors had wanted him to undermine and blow up Mt Kemmel. Geologists had said that it was feasible and he had been asked if he could do it. He had replied 'Yes', but added that it would involve digging a tunnel about 6km long plus a network of galleries and mine chambers under the Kemmelberg .... and he estimated that it would take until about 1925 to complete.

walking the WWI fields, I often met locals who told about tunnels running from one village to another, or tunnels running to secret field hospitals, HQ's, etc.

never been proven by documents or material traces in the field.

Cnock

• 9 years later...

Woww, 10 years ago this thread.

Would like to comment it though, as I know the place by heart (one of my favourite running spots). Kemmelberg, Lettenberg and Scherpenberg are 2 (not 3) distinct locations. The Lettenberg is a location on the farest opposite of camping Ypra, although if it was not mentioned with a sign, one might "think" that it is just one more slope of Mt Kemmel. Which it is (according to me) from a runner's point of view. 

There is no doubt that Mt Kemmel has an underground "system" of bunkers and tunnels: I visited them myself, in fact anyone can: you just need to be with a small group and make an appointment. The Mt Kemmel Commando bunker was in use until 1963 (part of the Cold War Defense System and pact), but it has not been disclosed from when it dates and why Kemmel was chosen. Maybe because there was already an elaborate system? So, to be clear, I nowhere claim that there are tunnels running up to Wijtschaete, what I do claim is that there are underground networks in Mt Kemmel, I saw them myself 

https://www.toerismeheuvelland.be/nl/commandobunker-kemmel  

Sincerely,

Benjamin Thyla

Cdo_Bkr_Kemmel1.jpg

Cdo_Bkr_Kemmel2.jpg

Cdo_Bkr_Kemmel3.jpg

The whole system could be re-activated right away, taken some necessary upgrades into account. I have been long enough in the Army to know one thing for sure, never show the rear of the tongue :D

Cheers,

Benjamin