Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identification please?

kingsman64

Dear Forum

I acquired a nice original WW1 document today a superb letter on embossed Royal Fusiliers Sportsmans Battalion paper from the Hotel Cecil in London and signed by Mrs. E. Cunliffe-Owen the lady who recruited the Sportsmans Battalions.

4d3c9525-beb2-402a-85c3-f7c36c1cf0bb_zpsd83ddaab.jpg

neatly folded inside the letter was this patch which has some real age to it I am hoping it is WW1 vintage and related to the Sportsmans Battalions anybody recognise this?

DSC_0161_zpsa9309d98.jpg

Any help in nailing this down would be much appreciated thanks.

By the way the document was to Henry L Bradley who enlisted into the 2nd Sportsmans Battalion 24th Royal Fusiliers he was commissioned in 1917 and eventually became a Lt. Col in the Rifle Brigade.

My first reaction is that it looks like the Spurs cockerel but from what i know the cockerel was not used as the official crest by Spurs on their shirts until 1921.

My first reaction is that it looks like the Spurs cockerel but from what i know the cockerel was not used as the official crest by Spurs on their shirts until 1921.

Your not the first to suggest a THFC link especially with the sportsmans battalion link? I wonder if THFC had an early training kit badge? The other thought I had was a Bantam Battalion connection?

Also the snobbery of the last paragraph raised an eyebrow.

Thanks

Paul

The fighting cock has been part of spurs identity sine 1901 and i know that they had a Maltese cross on their shirts in the very early days (i don't know why either) and for a while an actual riding spur. It is possible the the cockerel motif was in use on training equipment.