Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Maxim gun with muzzle booster?

RobL

I was generally under the impression that British maxim guns did not have a muzzle booster, however this one in the IWM Collection that used to be on display at the entrance to the WW1 Gallery has one, and in some films (I know, not a great source) also have them, and this IWM photo shows one in the Second Boer War;

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30034916

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d3/Boer_War%3B_Maxim_gun_Q71995.jpg

Does anyone know the reason why these two appear to have the muzzle booster, or if that's not what it is, then what it's for, and how many were fitted to British maxims? It's identical to that seen on the Russian 7.62mm Maxims, and of course quite different to that seen on the Vickers

This was the "Ball Firing Attachment" and was used to increase the pressure generated by the smaller .303 inch cartridge which was necessary for reliable functioning in the converted .45 inch guns.

The "Attachment, Ball firing, Mark I" was used with converted .45 inch heavy barrel guns and the "Attachment, Ball firing, Mark II" with the Mark I .303 inch gun and the Mark II .45 inch conversion with the regular weight .303 inch barrel.

regards

TonyE

Thanks Tony - do you have a photo of what the Ball Firing Attachment Mk 1 and Mk 2 look like please?

Tony.

Can you expand your explantion please. I have understood that the Maxim/Vickers was recoil operated and while the impulse from a 303 cartridge might well be less that a 45 I do not see how a barrel attachment would compensate. I have in mind the 'muzzle brakes' on artillery pieces which reduce the recoil and the 'so called. flash eliminator on the Bren of later years.

Old Tom

A helpful steer, many thanks. The diagram illustrates, what I guess is the principle, that as the bullet leaves the holes in the end of the booster the propellant gas pressure in the booster bearing on the face of the barrel exerts a force that is greater than the force on the part of the booster round the exit hole. I have forgotten the name of that principle of physics.

Old Tom

Tony.

Can you expand your explantion please. I have understood that the Maxim/Vickers was recoil operated and while the impulse from a 303 cartridge might well be less that a 45 I do not see how a barrel attachment would compensate. I have in mind the 'muzzle brakes' on artillery pieces which reduce the recoil and the 'so called. flash eliminator on the Bren of later years.

Old Tom

Here is the original drawing,as shown in my old pal Dolf Goldsmith's "The Devil's Paintbrush".

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-87022200-1365763155_thumb.jp

Fantastic, thanks Tony - is 'The Devil's Paintbrush' good for information and photos on the British Maxims as well then?

Fantastic, thanks Tony - is 'The Devil's Paintbrush' good for information and photos on the British Maxims as well then?

Very much so. it covers all the nations that bought the Maxim, not just Germany.

Regards

TonyE