Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying cap badge + uniform

WelshVoices

Hello - I hope that someone will be able to identify this cap badge + uniform.

Photo of unknown soldier, probably from Treboeth, Swansea, and quite possibly a member of Caersalem Newydd chapel, which has a detailed roll of honour of all those who served in WW1, so it may be possible to identify him from that.

Thanks,

Gethin

post-57739-0-68974100-1365586490_thumb.j

post-57739-0-23520000-1365586527_thumb.j

Thanks for these suggestions.

If he was indeed a member of Caersalem Newydd chapel, then this information points towards D S Dennis - the only one on the chapel's roll of honour who is noted as serving in the RE.

Gethin

Thanks for these suggestions.

If he was indeed a member of Caersalem Newydd chapel, then this information points towards D S Dennis - the only one on the chapel's roll of honour who is noted as serving in the RE.

Gethin

Gethin

Dont forget the guys sometimes moved Regt's and even Services. My GGD Pictured left was in the East Lancs Regt after war wounds he ended up in the Labour Corps.

So you may have pictures of chaps that might not have the correct Regt to the RoH.

Hope that helps.

Your Harries B Cheshire Regt MM and Bar is very interesting on the RoH.

Might be worth going into Soldiers and asking on the threads in there for each of the 79 men on RoH

Simon

Simon

Try a close up of the shoulder title for confirmation.

I don't think its RE. I think it is Worcestershire Hussars? Here's one of an officer with a similar plume (or whatever its called). Does it represent the Pear Blossom?

Rgds

Tim D

post-1563-0-62898600-1365634260_thumb.pn

post-1563-0-98124700-1365634957_thumb.jp

I agree with Tim. I think that this is almost certainly a Worcester Hussars Yeomanry badge, the centre of the badge is the give away.

However the shoulder title doesn't look correct for Worcester Yeomanry, so a close up of this may confirm the unit.

Does anyone know the significance of the 'rosette' above his left ear?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Here are the highest-resolution scans that I can manage of the badge and the shoulder title.

Gethin

post-57739-0-40845400-1365756748_thumb.j

post-57739-0-05723900-1365756772_thumb.j

Royal Engineers. You can see the large RE shoulder title and the badge is just being seen from an odd angle. RE in mounted dress were usually members of a pontoon troop or a line laying unit of the signal service.

Disagree. I don't see an R and I know its not the standard QOWH title, but I would try the Worcestershire Regiment museum.

I think the rosette is the key. The photo I have posted is an officer in the Queens Own Worcestershire Hussars sporting the same rosette.

Disagree. I don't see an R and I know its not the standard QOWH title, but I would try the Worcestershire Regiment museum.

I think the rosette is the key. The photo I have posted is an officer in the Queens Own Worcestershire Hussars sporting the same rosette.

Here are the shoulder titles of the Queens Own Worcestershire Hussars to compare with the RE type and the close up photo of the soldiers shoulder.

post-599-0-61544800-1365848215_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-48122000-1365848231_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-80701800-1365848248_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-47038500-1365848265_thumb.jpg

I know what the common ones look like. I don't think they are RE.

My money's on RE, too, for what it's worth.

One thing the lad is sporting which takes away the Yeomanry element is the fact he's wearing 4 Good Conduct Badges, something which wasn't introduced for Territorials unitl 1916 under ACI 1582 of the 13th August. The badge was introduced for the previous two years 'embodied' service only and not "back-dated" to include any pre-war T.F. service, so the maximum that could be worn was two by the end of hostilities in 1918. The lad in this photo is therefore a Regular soldier and not a member of the T.F. and the title does indeed appear to be R.E.

Cheers guys,

Loud and clear. Not convinced though....the shoulder title looks like a castle of some description to me? Maybe the dog gives it away...and he's an early version of an RE EOD dog handler? :thumbsup:

Rgds

Tim D