Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Baghdad North Gate Cemetery

Andrew P

Hi everyone

I've been wondering whether anyone has heard what condition the Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery in Baghdad is in.

It concerning, considering the wanton damage done to the Iraqi museum and archive.

Cheers

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
Guest john craven

Andrew,

Im not sure, but Patrick has a brother out at Al Najaf with the U.S Marines, he is trying to get upto North Gate Cemetary to get me a Photo of WH Sutcliffe's grave, East Lancs Regt.

When I get a reply I will let you know.

Regards

John

Andrew and John,

I have not heard from my brother who is at Al Kut for the moment. He was supposed to head north to Baghdad for meetings, but I have yet to hear any results.

The damage to the cemeteries seems mostly confined to neglect, though there is evidence of some locals who truly seemed to care for the area as best they could. (See the postings under Al Kut in this folder)

At Al Kut, in the photos that my brother sent me and the accompanying narrative, there appears to be much trash that needed to be removed, grass and weeds to be dealt with and a small bit of vandalism, confined to some grafitti. The Sword had been removed / stolen from the Cross of Sacrifice.

According to Colonel Smoot, the Chief of Staff for the Brigade, the Sword was the first thing that would be replaced.

When I hear about Baghdad North Gate - I'll let you know.

Patrick

John, Andrew...

NO news from Mike on Baghdad...things are pretty busy with rebuilding the area around Kut and Amara. He has not been to Baghdad yet, but may try and get some friends to do it for him if they go up there first.

Patrick