Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Shields Flyingboat ramp

pippin

I like the idea of superimposing the plan & photo, but one is oblique and the other vertical. I suppose that what I was trying to get at in my last post is that it's unwise to be too dogmatic about WWI sites, unless they're referenced to a date. I've done a lot of work looking into early RNAS/RFC/RAF stations and have found that such things as slipways on FB/SP stations could and did change - even at such well known sites as Felixstowe. Once you get down to lowlier sites such as HD night landing grounds, the situation can become even more complex. There were, for example, 3 different North Coates Fitties, 2 different Penstons and Sawbridgeworths and, while previously published works say that Hylton/Usworth was originally named West Town Moor, it wasn't - WTM was a different site, used as a NLG, that was replaced by the flight station, just as Leigh was replaced by Penshurst (Chiddingstone Causeway) and Hoprig Mains by the Penstons. Hopefully, subscribers to CCI will have already noticed some of such changes by referencing the Gazetter of Flying Sites currently running in that journal, looking at, for example, the site plans for Dundee 1916 and 1918.[/sub] Also its confusing that theres two MickD s from Durham in this thead!But l see their musical tastes differ slight[/qlyuote]

l read somewhere that a RN medical officer condemed the mechanics quarters as being sub-standard.They were just the existing public toilets so those men were living in a miserable location {he said avoiding half a dozen puns]

Said toilets were below ground level just to make matters worse

• 1 year later...

I can confirm that on very low tides the end of a second structure does appear on the beach in the position shown in the above photograph. I have some photographs which I have recently taken of this structure but I cannot attach them. Could somebody explain how to do it.

• 1 month later...

Taken from the Lawe

post-46676-0-95722500-1431288596_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

most of the ramp is still there and has been reburied to be protected by the sand. i had to go down and stop the builders driving over it when the new prom was being built recently. it,s now well protected. lots of concrete and iron stays are still left way up,the beach but buried. the sand scours out and fills in the structure that it can get to.

• 2 years later...

the ramp has been revealed much more by the recent storm ...lots of pictures (93) :) and a cgi  interpretation on 'south shields  cgi' on facebook   seems like the ties are  repurposed railway lines..

P1230910.JPG

P1230918.JPG

P1230974.JPG

P1230977.JPG

2 hours ago, leaflett said:

the ramp has been revealed much more by the recent storm ...lots of pictures (93) :) and a cgi  interpretation on 'south shields  cgi' on facebook   seems like the ties are  repurposed railway lines..

P1230910.JPG

P1230918.JPG

P1230974.JPG

P1230977.JPG

I was just down at South Shields on Saturday (bowling) - If I'd known I'd have walked the extra yards to take a look. I did notice that the car park end was looking a lot more rocky than usual as we went past.

Craig