Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer claims 1914-15 Star n/t of Victory/BWM

keithmroberts

I always understood that the Stars were only awarded to a soldier who was also awarded the Victory |Medal and British War Medal but as officers had to apply for their medals could one apply for his star without having received his VM and BWM?

I have found a MIC on Ancestry, and a single reference only in wo 372 in respect of Royce T Kitchen 2/Lt in the 4th West Riding Bgde RFA who also served as captain in a Command Gas School. The MIC shows entry into France on 14/11/1915 and states that he submitted a claim to the star on 12.2.19.

Does that make sense? Is it unusual, or should I just assume that another MIC was lost?

Keith

Keith

The 1914 and 1914/1915 Stars were authorised at the latter end of 1917 and 1918 respectively, well before the authorisation for the British War & Victory Medals so an application for the 1914/1915 Star alone is not a surprise. If he was awarded the Star then he would have been eligible for the British War & Victory Medals when they were authorised but I note on the MIC that there is no Medal Roll reference for the 1914/1915 Star, was it in fact issued?

I wouldn't assume anything but it's possible that;

a.) he wasn't in fact entitled to the Star and therefore not entitled to the BWM & Victory Medals also.

b.) there was another card that is now lost.

c.) as an officer he didn't make a further application for the British War & Victory Medals.

There is a Second card for him on Ancestry (as Royce Tom Kitchen) which states he was eligible for the Silver War Badge but again I can't see that that was issued either.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thanks for that. I missed the second card. As you say there is no roll number. When I next get to Kew I'll call up his file, There is only the one for R T Kitchen and see if it sheds any light. It rather looks as if he lived until 1975 when a death is recorded that looks to match.

Keith