Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Doncaster Hyde Park Cemetery

judecowie@mac.com

Hi All

I was surprised to find 10 airmen buried in Doncaster - including 1 American, 1 Australian and 1 Russian.

But Doncaster had a large airfield in WW1 and a number of hospitals - I am guessing that the majority of these guys died of wounds/injuries etc in the local area and were buried here. The local press is very poor on details, hence my appeal to you guys for information - especially those of foreign extraction, there names are as follows:-

Anthony Steel Caldwell from New South Wales, Australia - Died 04 May 1917, aged 26.

H L Savage from Bangor in the state of Maine, USA - Died 11 September 1918, aged 21.

Alan Alexander Payne from Edmonton, London, England - Died 26 June 1916, aged 27.

J Byers - Died 02 October 1918, aged 34.

George William Slack of Jesmond, Newcastle - Died 28 June 1918, aged 32.

Charles Smith of Putney, London - Died 28 June 1918, aged 31.

S F Vivian of Penryn, Cornwall - Died 15 October 1918, aged 26.

F E Holmes - Died 14 November 1918, aged 23.

J Loupinsky - Russian - Information in local press - no problem

T A Watson - Information in local press - no problem

The idea is that the Friends of Hyde Park Cemetery can include details of these guys on their next "War Walk" through the cemetery - there are over 100 War Graves and it would be fantastic if we can find the stories of each of them..........

Thanks

John

John

2nd Lt Anthony Steel Caldwell from New South Wales, Australia - Died 04 May 1917, aged 26. Killed in a flying accident with No 15 (Reserve) Squadron in RE8 A4192. Also killed was 2nd Lt Cyril Harvey Trollope (buried Plaistow, Kent).

Lt Harry Leonard Savage from Bangor in the state of Maine, USA - Died 11 September 1918, aged 21. Killed in flying accident with No 47 Training Depot Station in Sopwith Pup C420.

AM/2 Alan Alexander Payne from Edmonton, London, England - Died 26 June 1916, aged 27. With No 15 (Reserve) Squadron.

Cpl J Byers - Died 02 October 1918, aged 34.

Lt George William Slack of Jesmond, Newcastle - Died 28 June 1918, aged 32. Killed in a flying accident with No 49 (Training) Squadron in Avro 504 C745 with Sgt-Maj Charles Smith of Putney, London, aged 31.

Sgt Stanley Furneaux Vivian of Penryn, Cornwall - Died 15 October 1918, aged 26. No 47 Training Depot Station.

AM/1 F E Holmes - Died 14 November 1918, aged 23. No 36 Squadron RAF.

Lt J Loupinsky - Russian - Information in local press - no problem - the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website gives his date of death as 26 July 1919 with No 38 (Training) Squadron.

AM/1 Thomas Arthur Watson - Information in local press - no problem. No 6 School of Aeronautics.

Hope this of some interest

Graeme

John I haven't visited for a while, coincidently I was planning to go this weekend. Haa the condition of the CWGC stones improved since I corresponded with them in 2007 - posts 43 and 44 here

Mick

Hi Mick

Thanks for your reply and the links - I read those posts with interest and a tinge of sadness that there are people who take a perverted pleasure in the destruction of their heritage and history.

Given me a good start - much appreciated

Regards

John