Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppy pizza

Dawson

Hello,

On my last two visits to Ypres, the poppy restaurant has been shut, as this is a lovely, cheap place to eat after the Menin Gate ceremony, I've been disappointed, nope! devastated to see it closed. I tried the new place across the road, but I wasn't impressed.

Does anyone know whether its due to open again?

Thank you,

Ian.

Hi Ian

I was told that it has allegedly gone bankrupt. Which if true would be a shame.

Agree that the new place over the road isn't great. When I went in with 2 friends in September, the Chef started shouting at us when we entered and saying that it was too busy. If anything it was a third full. Wouldn't bother with it again!

yes, it is a pity it is gone, used to use it every night when I was there !

Mick

That's a shame. Hope the owner gets well soon.

And the owner of the other place shouted to us when we walked in, shouting he was too busy and you'll have a long wait. There was about 6 people in!

Rubbish and expensive too.

Sorry to hear this. Hope all comes good soon for owner and restaurant. Would be sorry to see it lost from Ypres.

That's a shame. Hope the owner gets well soon.

And the owner of the other place shouted to us when we walked in, shouting he was too busy and you'll have a long wait. There was about 6 people in!

Rubbish and expensive too.

Someone should tell him the story of Gerald Ratner................

Someone should tell him the story of Gerald Ratner................

Basil Fawlty, surely.

Tom

I hope the owner of the Poppy gets well soon.

Glad to see it wasn't just me that got shouted at by the Chef in the new Pizza restaurant!

I too was dissapointed last week to see the Poppy closed, always a good meal and more reasonable than the Square.

The "Ganzeke" (Goose) just up past the Belgian War Memorial is a good second in my opinion

Get well soon to the owner of the Poppy, you are sorely missed!

• 2 weeks later...

We also used the Poppy restaurant and it was fantastic for 3 generations including a fussy child, a vegetarian and a keen carnivore! Best wishes to the owner.

The burger bar is also surprisingly good! Was certainly handy on two very, very cold nights in January

• 2 weeks later...

Sad that it is closed I always took people in there when i was in Ypres . The young lad always made me welcome and always gave me a reduction in the bill, I hope if it does open again that the standard of service and food is maintained .

Dan

I am saddened to hear of the closing and the illness of the owner. I would always eat there whenever in the Salient and was impressed by the memory of the owner when he asked how I was and how nice it was to see me again. I thought he was just taking an educated guess that I had visited before but he when asked after my companion from my last trip and could remember that she was an Australian I was flabbergasted - I'm lucky if I can remember what I had for dinner earlier! A true gent with wonderfully friendly staff, I hope he recovers soon.

James O'Hara

The food is, but the service is slow or it was when I visited. I was there about 2 hours.

Mick

A former colleague went to the Chinese as a change from Belgian fare and said that every course tasted exactly the same!

A former colleague went to the Chinese as a change from Belgian fare and said that every course tasted exactly the same!

Been frequently and always happy with food and service - never been in a rush though so whether it was slow or not didn't matter

The food is, but the service is slow or it was when I visited. I was there about 2 hours.

Mick

If they are preparing it and cooking it in house one might expect this. If they are using pre prepared and even pre cooked frozen stuff then it would be faster but probably not so nice. There used to be a Chinese restaurant in Jakarta that was used by the Indonesian Chinese restaurant owners association for their monthly dinners (which is a pretty good recommendation) and the menu was quite limited, the service glacial but the meals superb. Perhaps it is the same in Ypres.

If they are preparing it and cooking it in house one might expect this. If they are using pre prepared and even pre cooked frozen stuff then it would be faster but probably not so nice. There used to be a Chinese restaurant in Jakarta that was used by the Indonesian Chinese restaurant owners association for their monthly dinners (which is a pretty good recommendation) and the menu was quite limited, the service glacial but the meals superb. Perhaps it is the same in Ypres.

That's about it...

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if this restaurant has opened up again? I'll be in Ypres in just over a week's time and would love to go back to Poppy's.

Hi MB1919

The last news I have had (this week) is that the owner is definitely selling the restaurant and it will not be open again under his ownership. As I understand it, it is his wife that is ill and that he is returning to Holland.

Bob

Sorry to hear this, and get well soon!

G.K.