Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of cemeteries

Guest CSM

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission sell a series of Yellow series Michelin maps with the cemeteries over-layed onto them; this covers most of the British sector of the Western Front.

Details on their website at:

CWGC Publications

In 1929 Sidney Hurst published Silent Cities which lists all of those in France and Flanders, along with a short write-up and a photo. Originals are rare and expensive, but Naval & Military Press have just done a new re-print.

You might also find the Silent Cities website by John Whalley of some use as well.

Quite a few websites (my own, Iron Harvest etc) also have details of WW1 cemeteries - just have a look around the net.

There are approx 23000 cemeteries worldwide with Commonwealth war graves. I am in the process of compiling a complete list - a long job.

If you want an updated complete list of WW1 France cemeteries please email me. This list updates 'Silent Cities' as it takes account of recently cleared locations and adds some new ones - all 1670 current cemeteries & memorials over the whole of France - not just the Western Front. I also have a fairly comprehensive list of cleared cemeteries in France with numbers of casualties moved and to where.

All info is from CWGC sources.

Happy to email them to anyone if they want them (takes a while to download). :rolleyes:

Thanks to all those who requested my list of war grave cemeteries in France. Sorry it takes a while to download (Broadband where are you? - I can't get it out in the sticks).

For those who asked, I can assure you that a similar Belgium list will be completed shortly but I am working on the UK list at the moment - a very long job as there are about 15000 of them !

• 2 months later...

Hi all research completed enough for another visit to France/Belgium early Feb, what road map has the cemeteries marked? I think it's Michelin but I can't be certain.

• 2 weeks later...