Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Regiment & Uniform info

wulsten

Can anyone identify the Regiment from the cap badge, could it be Grenadier Guards ??? and can anything be gained from the uniform in any way, anything appreciated, Geoff

post-9296-0-77625200-1364921613_thumb.jp

post-9296-0-60031100-1364921622_thumb.jp

A fusilier is about all I can say!

TT

Agree some sort of fusilier

Wearing a simplified pattern service dress jacket and a 1914 pattern waistbelt so I would suspect (guess) the picture was probably taken in 1915/16 rather than later, certainly a wartime rather than pre-war image because of the jacket and belt.

Chris

Thanks for the replies, the photo was located today at bric a brac stall, i believe that the chap was from Staffordshire so may well be Royal Fusiliers as the 8th & 9th recruited in the area during 1915, anything else that could be added or confirmation Royal Fusiliers appreciated, Geoff

(Never any names on pics)

Cheers for the replies, will try to enhance the cap badge, however it appears to be tilting back which doesnt help

Geoff

Could be either Northumberland Fusiliers or Royal Munster Fusiliers (see image below).

f0d1918eb6f8.jpg

Yeah, tried blowing up the shoulder title but nothing that is identifiable, the plot thickens with the Northumberlands ?

The poor blow up of the title could be the clue here as it appears to be a cloth slip-on title. If this is the case then the lettering isn't 'NF' nor is it 'RMF', and it is infact 'TR', which would inidicate he was 'Training Reserve' and as I believe Irish units didn't have equivalent TR Battalions associated with them, then he would indeed be Northumberland Fusiliers.

Another badge candidate which was omitted was the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, but again they hadn't an affiliated TR Battalion.