Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers-In-Arms Memorial - Support us while on tour in Flanders

diggerslouch

There will be a traditional Aussie BBQ at ANZAC REST - Cafe De Dreve, Polygon Wood, owner Johan Vandewalle. Visit our website for more info:

This an opportunity to meet Johan and the team involved in this project....so if you are touring in the Ypres area...drop in for a chat and something to eat.

The Story

September 2007

An exceptional discovery was made in Zonnebeke,

near Ypres, on the former battlefields of the Great War. After 89 years the remains of 5 Australian soldiers were recovered.

The excavation was emotional and overwhelming and the identification process unveiled an extraordinary story of two brothers, Jim & John Hunter, play a key role.

They enlisted in "'The Great Adventure", travelled so far to fight on Flanders Fields, side by side, John was killed and carefully buried by his brother Jim on a scarred battlefield.

Jim returned to look for his brother, but was unable to find him.

The revelation of this mystery and the message given by the brothers eventually lead to the realisation of this project.

More Info go to the Website:

http://www.brothersinarmsmemorial.com

A couple of great social events. Sadly I cant get to either as I'm on tour elsewhere but I'll be buying one of Johan's great new polo shirts later this week.

Good luck to Johan and Steve. I note that the dress code for the BBQ (if you want to go Ozzy) requires green and gold and thongs. I look forward to seeing photos of the dress of any Brits ... divided by a common language over nether(not)wear and footwear, I suspect.

Hope to make it to De Dreve in August

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Just back from a week in Ieper. Visited "De Dreve" and was pleasantly surprised and very happy to see that the "Brother in Arms" memorial has been completed. Great work by all involved. Johan told me that there is to be a festive opening on the 25th of September. I'll be absent, unfortunately. A job well jobbed, as far as I am concerned! DSC08694.JPG.9d5e80473a081c0d9bffa83e9b206a26.JPGDSC08695.JPG.e0a3676c0be4568608dd30b17ae2f174.JPGDSC08693.JPG.b243a2bd3499c36bcce3d7e587f47247.JPG