Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Sky their Battlefield

tamos123

Pals...help appreciated

Before adding to my ever growing book collection does the book cover airman who subsequently died of wounds.

Does it cover casualties killed in UK, landing accidents etc

Does it cover RNAS?

Advise much appreciated

T

Certainly covers RNAS and has a section on 'United Kingdom and Home Waters'. I am not absolutely certain about the flying accidents, but it looks like it to me. I don't think it says what happened to those wounded in action.

A very useful book - even for those who are of the trench tendency...

Which book does??

Ray Sturdivant's "Royal Naval Aircraft & Serials" covers the history of all RNAS and Naval derived RAF aircraft of the Great War, if a pilot had an accident, whether fatal or not, there's a good chance it's in there. Difficult to find of course, unless you know the name of the pilot.

The Camel File has a similar format, as does the Pup File and the SE5 File. A lot of books to buy if you are keen on accidents!! I should state that I'm referring to flying accidents here, "walking into the prop" type accidents are not covered.

Mike

RT

You asked "Which book does [cover accidents]??"

Chris Hobson's 'Airmen Died in the Great War' [iSBN 0 871505 81 X] is the book that lists all members of the RNAS, RFC, RAF, AFC and WRAF who died from all causes, on all fronts, up to and including 11 November 1918.

It's an excellent piece of research.

Cheers

Gareth