Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loyal North Lancs 1918

peter19

I am trying to research the death of Hugh Ellis 1st/5th The Loyal North Lancs Reg who died 30th november 1918. I know that this was at the time of the German counter attack following the successful use of tanks by the British at Cambrai. Has anybody a copy of the war diary for the days leading up to this date - it might help me to understand the circumstances of Hugh's death a little better, and also an idea of the total casualties suffered. I understand that this was not "the finest hour" for the division involved ?

If anybody can help I would be extremely grateful

Peter19

You mean 1917, of course

:)

My next door neighbour to me in my childhood lost her brother, missing (Sjt James Brown 1/5 Loyals) in the same battle. Even back then, I was about 10 in ,I had a keen interest in WW1

I remember being next door when a friend of my neighbours family was paying a visit. They got to talking about her brother and it seems that the visitor was one of the last men to see Sjt Brown alive. I remember him saying that it was a complete mess . Apparently the battalion was holding the line in a salient, having relieved the unit that had been involved in the "tank attack". They had little warning of the counter attack and it seems that the German storm troops attacked them from the rear.

The 1/5th suffered many casualties including many captured without being able to put up much of a defence. This was the case for most of the units in 55th Div and it was "under a cloud" until its defence of Estairs during the Lys offensive the following spring. The Divisions action even being praised by the German High Command.

I know that this information is only second hand and the telller was by 1965 an old man but it was for me "straight from the horses mouth" and it gives you some indication of what happened at that time in 1917

The War Diary says that there was enemy bombardment along the whole front followed by a strong flank attack. The front line Coys were surrounded. "...nothing definite known as to what happened.."

Losses in ORs shown as 2 Killed, 27 Wounded, 384 Missing

(CWGC show 105 ORs for this date but I haven't weeded out DoW, Died)

Hugh's papers show he was posted to the 1st 5th on 3 3 1917. It might be worth splashing out the £3.50 on the Diary as per Ken's link above to get his whole time with the Battalion.

Hywyn

The 5th Loyals memorial in Queens Park Bolton has a lot of names for 1917 but theses will also include the casualties at 3rd Ypres where both 1/5 and 2/5 took part.

Many thnks for the help and advice. I have just received the war diary from the NA. It's proved very useful. I am wondering if anybody is local to Queens Park in Bolton, would they be able to check for the name of Hugh Ellis on the War Memorial. If he is, I would very much like a photo of the monument as well as a close up of the name? It would be much appreciated. If he is NOT on the memorial, then that would be nice to know too !!!

Peter19