Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ulster Tower, Somme

Terry Carter

I was speaking to Teddy and Phoebe at the Ulster Tower over the weekend and someone who has spoken to them reckons Adolf Hitler visited the Ulster Tower after France had fallen in 1940. I immediately thought of this Forum and thought it might make a good question.

Is there any truth in this?

Cheers

Terry

I don't actually know for sure, but other tham WW1 service ( which was mainly in Belgium anyway ), I thought that the only day that Hitler actually spent in France, was the day he toured Paris in 1940.

Well,

this is the first time I hear about Hitler visiting the somme; I have heard he visited the salient, where he fought most of the time; he even brought some flowers for the lady where he was bileted during the war.

pascal

He definitely visited Messines and Ypres. They museum in Messines had pictures of the little corporal on the visit and one of his fairly poor paintings. Not heard of him visiting the Somme and the Messines curator did say he spent most of the war in the Salient. Apparently Adolf and the other runners sheltered in the church crypt... The curator said 'he wasn't really a soldier - just a postman'.

Issue 117 Hitler on the Western Front photos of him at The Vimy Ridge Memorial, Notre-Dame de Lorette cemetery, Arras, Cambrai, Bouchain finally taking off at Niergnies @ 2:50 p.m in a Focke Wolfe FW200 condor taking him to Charleville for a conference with Von Rundstedt

No mention of Ulster Tower

Bit wierd you walk under The Menin Gate he was there, Langemark German Cemy,

Kemmel Hill, The Article was writtian by Jean Paul Pallard After the Battle Magazine.issue 117 Battle of Britain International Ltd

Church House

Church Street

London

E15 3JA

Hitler

Hitler came to Belgium on 1 june 1940.

Brussels -Aalst - Gent - Kortrijk - Menen - Geluveld - Ypres - Elverdinge - Poperinge - Reningelst - De Klijte - Messines - Comines - Bas-Warneton - Warneton - Wijtschate (Croonaert Wood) - Kemmel- Kemmel-Hill - Ypres - .

Langemark.

Second visit to Belgium : 26 june 1940 - (airport Wevelgem near Kortrijk).

Hitler was in Wytschate with his regiment from november 1914 until february-march 1915

His regiment was involved in the conquest of Croonaert Wood. He painted the Sunken Road in Wytschate. His regiment had some weeks later to take the trenches south of Kruisstraatcabaret (not far from Spanbroekmolen) in Wytschaete He sheltered maybe in the crypte of the church in Messines on his way to Bethlehemfarm (headquaters). He his function was not 'a postman. He had to make the liaison between the batallions - and headquaters- in the German army there were always 3 batalions in a regiment. The Messines curator is wrong: Hitler leaved the Wytschaete trenches in february - march 1915. He never came back in the first world war.

Hitler served on the Somme in October 1916, at Ligny Thilloy and La Barque.

I never seen a mention of him visiting the Somme battlefields in June 1940, however.

Sorry to digress a little BUT

Any truth that a WW2 German soldier carved a Swastika/Iron Cross? somewhere on the Ulster Tower? I've heard that one.

Des - never heard of Hitler being there.

Yes, there is a Swastika carved into the parapet of the viewing platform at the Tower. This is now sadly out of bounds due to accident there some years ago.

Possibly "Der Fuhrer" was more interested in the things they never captured before, like Ypres?

To bad he didn't spep on a forgotten shell somewhere in the old WW1 battlefield... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the most famous footage of Hitler visiting his old WWI haunts was shot in the Fromelles area of French Flanders. There are two bunkers in the area he is supposed to have sheltered in. The 'old Hitler bunker' is signposted as such but it is doubtful Hitler was ever here; the 'new Hitler bunker' has been identified from movie footage taken of him in 1940. In the Fromelles town hall museum is a patched-together sign that hung on the house Hitler was billeted in during WWI - the sign was erected in WWII and smashed by locals at the end of the war.

Hitler's unit faced the Australian troops who attacked in the disastrous Battle of Fromelles, July 19-20, 1916.

Cheers,

Mat