Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old Photo

moira55

Hello

I have an old photo of two soldiers, one of whom may be my grandfather who servied in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force in 1917. However I need someone who could identify the uniform please.

post-98045-0-78746500-1364601336_thumb.j

Many thanks

Moira

They are certainly both Canadian soldiers - they are both wearing the Canadian 7-button version of the SD jacket with maple leaf collar badges, the chap seated is also wearing the belt off the Canadian 1916 Pattern Dismounted Equipment, ie:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/tunics/ceft01.htm

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/equipment/cefe02.htm

What was your grandfathers name Moira,

Someone may be able to tell you more.

Rgds

Tim D

Many many thanks for these replies. My grandfather was Fred Stevenson born 1899 in Glasgow. I do have his Attestation record (from Ancestry) but that's all. Sadly I never knew him as he died when I was about 5 and I never thought to ask my dad about him....my dad died young and I only started to look in to family history recently. So no one left to ask now :(

Any wee bit of information would be really appreciated.

You should be able to order his full Service Record from Canadian Archives. Do you have that?

Rgds

Tim D

I don't have his service record but will now see if I can get them from the Canadian Archives as you've suggested Tim.

Thank you for your help - I've had this photo for so long and it's wonderful now to know that one of them is my Grandfather.

Warmest Regards to all who have answered my posts.

Moira