Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying chain worn with uniform

Canuck7542

I recently acquired this photograph of my great grandfather, John McAfee, who served with the 12th Royal Irish Rifles. I believe the photo was taken after he was injured in 1916 or 1917. Can anyone help identify what the chain is that runs from his chest pocket to the button on his jacket? Would it have any military significance or could he have chosen to wear it if he was or about to be discharged?

Thanks

post-65201-0-54037100-1364539325_thumb.j

post-65201-0-81036100-1364539339_thumb.j

Watch chain I'd say, and you can just make out the shape of a pocket watch at the bottom left (as you look - his right) of the breast pocket.

Interesting variation of the brace attachments for shoulder straps on what appears to be an 03 pattern belt. I wonder if this is so 03 belts could be used with 14 pattern equipment?

Guest Dheld5150

Looks like a whistle lanyard to me. Have not been sutdying this era that long, but on a Boer/Napoleonic era uniform from a rifle regiment that is proper placing for the riflemans whistle. Just my two cents. Dave H

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the help. I guess its important to never rule out the obvious, that it may be a pocket watch. The idea that it is a rifleman's whistle lanyard is interesting. I did find a picture of one which shows the same type of double chain, which caught my attention.

The belt also caught my attention with the buckle and brace attachements. I looked at Robert Thompson's "Bushmills Heroes" and there are a couple of pictures of riflemen with the 12th Royal Irish Rifles wearing the same belt.

Thanks again

post-65201-0-34801100-1365738869_thumb.j

Hi all, not the 14 pattern belt attachments as they were a two part fitting with a brass rectangular ring separating the two pieces. The chain looks like a watch chain to me.

Thank you everyone for the help. I guess its important to never rule out the obvious, that it may be a pocket watch. The idea that it is a rifleman's whistle lanyard is interesting. I did find a picture of one which shows the same type of double chain, which caught my attention.

The belt also caught my attention with the buckle and brace attachements. I looked at Robert Thompson's "Bushmills Heroes" and there are a couple of pictures of riflemen with the 12th Royal Irish Rifles wearing the same belt.

Thanks again

These are, I believe, fittings(hallmarked silver)from an officer's crossbelt--a totally different animal. The chain in this picture is much smaller in dimensions than the one depicted in the original photo of your G/F.