Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Apapa

roypaule

Hi All,

I'm doing some research on the sinking of the SS Apapa on 20 Jan 1917. This is in relation to a medal I have named: William Taylor, Greaser, Mercantile Marine.

1) I have a CWGC Certificate Mr. Taylor and it state that he died 28 November 1917, age 59. With reference to the dates, does this mean he survived the day the ship struck mine, was wounded, and died 8 days later?

2) The ship was torpedoed by U-96 (?). Who was the captain of the u-boat?

3) What's the full name of Captain Toft of the SS Apapa?

Thank you in advance,

Roy

Hi again, erratum. The 20 Jan 1917 is in relation to SS Planudes, not SS Apapa. Got it mixed up:-)

Anyway, SS Planudes in my reading struck mine 18 January 1917. But I also read that she was sunk 20 January 1917. Which date is correct?

thanks

Roy

Roy

You may have already done it but a search of the Forum brings up quite a few threads including

where Malcolm in post 8 refers to a potential confusion in the date.

There may be some answers for you in further perusal of the thread(s)?

Hywyn

What's the full name of Captain Toft of the SS Apapa?

James Thomas Toft

Dave

Roy

Captain TOFT was not a lucky Captain. Another of his ships, ABOSSO, was torpedoed earlier in 1917 and sunk off Southern Ireland on it's way into Liverpool from West Africa. He survived that one and was able to report the incident on his eventual arrival in Liverpool. I have an idea that he wasn't so lucky the second time round but I may be wrong. There is a book in the Maritime Special Collection in Southampton on Elder Dempster's losses in WW1 and it details each incident and the crew losses.if you want more detail I can take a look. If so let me know by PM.

These ships were from the Elder Dempster Line,and served West African ports.

Sotonmate

• 6 years later...

I was walking in Llanasa, Flintshire last week. In the churchyard is a grave for an unknown engineer of SS Apapa. I was interested to find out why he was buried so far from the incident. The notice board in the church refers to historic maritime links to the locality. 

Hi RKnight,

The sinking was the subject of a detailed thread here:

Clive

On 23/06/2019 at 06:58, RKnight said:

I was walking in Llanasa, Flintshire last week. In the churchyard is a grave for an unknown engineer of SS Apapa. I was interested to find out why he was buried so far from the incident. The notice board in the church refers to historic maritime links to the locality. 

Tidal currents could have carried a body some distance before it was washed up. Likely that a local inquest was carried out with no certainty of identification and it was buried as unknown.

Looking at Engineer-type crew lost in the sinking, there are several with no known grave and remembered on Tower Hill Memorial in London.

Junior Engineer  Harold Edwin Ash BROWN, and Chief Engineer William GUY are the only two Engineers lost and not buried by name. I would imagine that the Chief would have been recognised by the rank rings on his sleeve, if indeed he was wearing uniform.

There are several other lesser -ranked crew, listed on the Tower Hill Memorial, with functions in the engine room, 2 Trimmers ( S. JOE and John WILSON), 2 Greasers ( Joseph Henry OXTON and William TAYLOR), and a fireman (Joseph RENNER).

Local news archive may be able to help with more detail of inquest etc.

Edited by sotonmate