Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

30 Division Battalion Patches

KENDO

Hi All

Does anybody have any info on the battalion signs worn by the 30 Division when it comprised 21, 89 and 90 Brigades ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Best regards

ken

Here's a little bit from Maddocks "Liverpool Pals" (page 37);

"Later in the war, in 1917 and after, the three Pals battalions of the 89th Brigade, wore a square of coloured cloth on each upper arm to identify themselves. The 17th Battalion patch was black, the 19th patch was white, and the 20th patch was yellow." ... "These coloured patches may well have had their origin on the Somme in 1916, as identification ribbons, although it is not known exactly where on the uniform they were worn. In a letter written home after July 1st 1916, a Private in the 17th Battalion made reference to such an identification.

We have been dubbed the "Black Kings" owing to our black ribbon for identification purposes.

15406 Private I Smith, 17th Bn KLR

At some stage, also, the Eagle and Child badge, adopted by the 30th Division as its own divisional insignia, was worn, as a single badge, in white weave, on a circle of black cloth, on the back of the tunic, below the collar, probaby for the purposes of instant identification during trench raids (1). In 1918 it was worn, by members of the 30th Division on each shoulder."

1. This information was given to the author in an interview with the former 21515 Private C S Hawnaur, 19th Battalion KLR, in 1973.

Hi Arthur

Yes thank you for the info you previously gave me on the 30 Division - most useful but still have a some gaps.

Best regards

ken

Hi Simon

Thank you for your reply and the info - great stuff - I shall add that to my chart for the division. Every bit adds to the bigger picture.

Best regards

ken