Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was on the other side?

Garde Grenadier

Doing research on the fate of my great-uncle Theodor Hoernemann (see my article "Found at last" in Hellfire Corner) I'm still wondering who was on the other side of events in July 1917? He was with the Königin-Elisabeth-Garde-Grenadier-Regiment No.3, 7th Company, they fought round the infamous Winterberg = Plateau de Californie, he was severely wounded through artillery shells in the head and in his upper arm on July 21st and died of his wounds at Chivres-en-Laonnois on July 24th 1917. I suppose there were French soldiers on the opposite side, but you may be in a state to give further information or correction.

I just had the surprise of a lifetime - I had given up all hope of ever finding any photographs or cards - visiting a very distant relative I was lent a shoebox full of letters, pictures and cards of both wars (we had several victims in WWI and II in our family). That will keep me occupied for some time! More pieces of the jigsaw-puzzles!

Thanks for any further information or hint.

Daniel

Daniel.

The nearest that I can acertain is that the area opposite where your great uncle served was being held (in April/May 1917)by the 1st Corps of the 10th Army (Duchene).They were, indeed, French, but I'm afraid I don't have a Divisional or regimental breakdown of this corps.

Sorry I can't narrow it down any further,

Dave.