Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The King's Own - Cap Badge

David Lea

Can anyone assist with identification of the below cap badge please?

I'm sorry if this seems an obvious question but my grandfather served with 2/8th Kings Liverpool Regiment and I always believed this cap badge was his but I am wondering now if my assumption was correct and that it may belong to a different individual entirely?

Many thanks

David

post-92891-0-26282800-1364406956_thumb.j

Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.

Regards,

Sean.

Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.

Regards,

Sean.

Thats the "other Ranks" cap badge which I think came into use circa 1902.

Many thanks 'Shiny Seventh' and 'Kitchener's Bugle' - it looks like it could not have belonged to my grandfather then?

I now have to try and work out who it could have belonged to!

Kind Regards

David

If you do not have Ancestry, post your GF's name and any relevant details and I will try and find him for you.

Regards,

Sean.

Thanks Sean!

I don't have Ancestry no but I've a feeling his records may not have survived? I'm lucky that i have quite a few documents and letters which has been able to tell me quite a lot about his army life.

He was one of 3 brothers who served in the Great War:-

1. Ralph Croft (my grandad) b. 13/06/1877 Joined 2/8th KLR in Jan 1915. Private 306484. He was gassed in July 1917 and sent home. In Feb 1919 he was Private 82383 with Unit 331 RDC.

2. George Croft b. 1893 Blackpool. Joined RFA in Aug 1915 (Gunner 104915) and was KIA France 4/10/17.

3. Thomas Croft b. 1884. He definately joined the army but I can't find any records of his service.

The cap badge would seem definitely NOT to belong to Ralph or George, so could possibly belong to Thomas perhaps??

I've a feeling none of their service records have survived but if you could find any trace of them, I would be over the moon!

Please don't go to too much time and trouble though Sean, I know Croft is a fairly common name, so there may be 100s of them?

Kind regards

David

I will find something dont worry. In the meantime, PM me your e-mail address and I will send you all that I do I find.

Regards,

Sean.

The 2/8th KLR served in the same division, but not the same brigade, as two second line Territorial battalions of the King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment), the division being the 57th (Second West Lancashire) Division. It might be possible that he exchanged badges with friend he had made in one of the other battalions. I have been struck by the dreaded non-function entry key in Windows 7 (despite testing satisfactorily two days ago) so my signature is ... here .... Ian

The 2/8th KLR served in the same division, but not the same brigade as two second line Territorial battalions of the King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment), the division being the 57th (Second West Lancashire) Division. It might be possible that he exchanged badges with friend he had made in one of the other battalions. I have been struck by the dreaded non-function entry key (despite testing satisfactorily two days ago) so my signature is ... here ....

Ian

A triumph for "Toggle editing mode" - apologies for cluttering this up with two versions of the same post

Cheers Ian, an interesting theory and certainly a possibility, although I still have a feeling there are some more military ancestors out there that I haven't yet discovered! My quest goes on!

Just to 'complicate matters further'... there was another item in my grandmother's 'biscuit tin' that I would still like to 'understand' and establish its source...

This one doesn't look so much like a cap badge, more a tie-pin or similar?

Can anyone assist with this one please?

post-92891-0-81334700-1364728548_thumb.j

David,

Royal Army Medical Corps.

Cheers,

Sean.