Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I've been commissioned to write 'Swansea in the Great War' for publication next year.

I already have plenty of info on the 14th Welsh but would welcome any letters, photos, memories etc. on men with a good link to Swansea who served with other army units.

Beyond that the whole range of the war as it affected Swansea is of interest, e.g. the role of women, the effect on industry, the experience of those who served at sea or in the air; conscientious objectors, medical services (home and overseas), the home front effort, post war impact and remembrance, fund raising etc.

Basically anything which might shine a new light in some of the better known, or forgotten, corners of the conflict, but all with a clear link to Swansea.

If anyone with info would like to post here in the first instance and I'll PM you my personal e-mail address (not sure of that is accessible to you from here?) This will prevent my PM box getting full (again) assuming there are hopefully several people with info.

Bernard

Hmmm. I had cleared some space and have now done even more. A PM should now get through - can you try again please, Hywyn?

If it doesn't arrive I'll know its a problem.

Bernard

For WW1 conscientious objectors from Swansea (Abertawe), I suggest contacting the Archivist of the Peace Pledge Union - archives@ppu.org.uk - whose database of 4000 WW1 COs is likely to include some from that quarter.

Thanks for the tip, MagnumBellum.

Bernard