Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Campsites near Ypres

Johnny S

Looking to arrange next years holiday at ypres, but trying to keep costs down. Can anyone tell me if there are any hire caravans at Ypres or Kemmel?

If so, what are they like? Are they the same as those you hire over in the UK ("Static caravans") with toilet facilities, cooking gear, fridges, heating, etc, or are they just like "tourers" with the basics ?

Thx.

John.

Hi

Ypres sports stadium has small cabins for hire, sleeps 2 or 3 I think, you use the shower / toilet block, it is part of the small camp site, around 20 caravans, plus tents.

The phone no is = 0032 (0)57/217282. 0032 (0)57/216121

email = info@jeugdstadion.be

= www.jeugdstadion.be

I will be in Ypres in a week or two and will try and get some info and prices, and will get back to the Forum in 6 - 8 weeks.

hope this helps.

Best regards Rowly. CR.

"Trekkershuts" at both camings (Jeugdstadion at Ieper, Ypra at Kemmel), and hireable caravans at Ypra (Kemmel).

I've stayed in "Trekkershuts", both in Flanders ("Vlaamstrekkershuts") and in Holland ("Nederlandstrekkershuts") and there are different designs in both (all the Flemish ones are the same, which is a different layout form the Dutch ones, which are all the same). They're excellent (and sleep 4-5, unless you get a family size one which are rarer - the ones at Arnhem are like wooden bungalows!).

I don't know about the caravans at Kemmel as I've never stayed in one (usually take my own, but can't this year!).

Actually, come to think of it, does anyone have any info about the Kemmel caravans? I was actually going to stay in a trekkershut at the Jeugdstadion next week, but I might try out one of the caravans at the Ypra if they're agreeable.

Can anyone answer the second part of John's question for me? (Hopefully before Friday! :P ). I'll give a full report on them if I decide on this form of accomodation (it's also nearer to my "project" ! :ph34r: )

Dave.

We stayed at Camping Ypra last year with our motor caravan and found it a good site, open all year. As there were about six large statics, we asked about hiring and were told that it was the last year they were doing so. Worth checking though and posting any info on this site.

As there were about six large statics, we asked about hiring and were told that it was the last year they were doing so. Worth checking though and posting any info on this site.

The website currently mentions caravans for hire (I presume they mean the statics). I wonder if these are the same that you enquired about, Brian? If so, it looks like they've had a change of heart .

Dave.

As I said, worth checking out and the owners do speak English. They told us that the static caravans didn't pay as they were only occupied for a few weeks of the year.

By the way, if anyone regularly phones Europe, US, Australia, New Zealand etc. I can recommend www.budgetcom.co.uk where you will get an overseas call at UK local rate. The access code for these countries is 0845 2 443 443 wait for the prompt the dial the number you want as normal and end with #. Perhaps I should post this info. elsewhere on the Forum?

• 2 weeks later...

As Brian was told, I can confirm that there are no static caravans at Ypra in Kemmel ( I tried for one!), so it looks like the Camping Ypra website is a little out of date!

They do have 4 Trekkershuts (which are great!), but so does the Jeugdstadion at Ieper (where I ended up last week) and Westouter. These are approx. 30 euros per night.

Dave.