Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prisoners of War 1914-1918

Skipman

Apologies if posted before.

Prisoners of War 1914-1918

" Download Original Documents "

" Our aim on this site is to provide interesting and useful content relating to WW1 prisoners of war. We also offer a number of downloadable PDF files (eBooks) which were compiled from contemporary primary documents.At present, the site consists of four main 'Sections' with each offering information about prisoners and the camps they were in. In addition - and also within the sections - a number of relevant eBooks are displayed (compiled from official, semi-official and private sources) which are available to download at low prices. The Sections can be accessed from the top navigation bar. There are also a number of sub-pages offering more content and eBooks to download. The sub-pages can be accessed from the menu on the left of this text "

Mike

Unless you are a lottery winner or philanthropist, beware. Many of the ebooks that you can buy from this website are available as free downloads from archive.org.

The best research and primary source for personal information is the reports compiled by the Committee on the Treatment of British PoWs (1915-19) and found in WO 161-95-100. The reports were made by British & Commonwealth servicemen. When I was doing research on British PoWs I did a full copy of WO161 and a lot of the other files on British PoWs at the NA (Kew)

I do not know if this is the best place to put this. I've been wanting to put it somewhere so that it is available. Please advise if there is a better place.

In the Service Records of Robert Hazledene, R/14597 KRRC 1st Battalion that I found in Ancestry there is a typed page (image 0919) which makes no mention of him. It is headed "Osnabruck; 28th March 1915 Nominal List of Prisoners of War handed over to the Gefangenenlager, Osnabruck." The following is a transcription:

----------

Groves, Ernest Godfrey Pte. 1/Dorsetshire Regt. Capt. near La Basse. of Freshwater Bay (Isle of Wight)

----------

Five day statement of Admissions to and discharges from the Reserve Lazarett (Abteilung Kaiserhof) Paderborn, during the period from the 21 - 25 March 1915

----------

Foord, William Pte. Infantry Knee Discharged on the 22.3.15. To Senne.

Tidey, Albert " " Crown of head " "

Wyeth, John " Dragoon Rgt. Knuckle or ankle " "

----------

Five day statement of the Hilfalassarett "Hohenzollernpark" Magdeburg for the period from the 21-25 March, 1915

----------

Discharge

Byford, Frederic Sjt 20 Lancashire Shot wound in the right foot To the Gef. Lag. Doberitz

----------

Central Information Bureau 30th March, 1915

Gefangenenlager Bautzen.

Hilker, Louis Pte. 1 Hants Rgt. 5 Comp. Le Chateau Bautzen.

Fox, Tom Cpl. Scots Guards 1 Comp. Ypres "

Smits, John Musician Bandsman Queens Rgt. 2 Comp. Landmarch "

Pike, William Cpl. Wiltshire 1 Comp. Ypres "

----------

That's it. I have searched for these names in GWF, but found none of them. I hope posting this will be useful to someone, one day.

The best research and primary source for personal information is the reports compiled by the Committee on the Treatment of British PoWs (1915-19) and found in WO 161-95-100. The reports were made by British & Commonwealth servicemen. When I was doing research on British PoWs I did a full copy of WO161 and a lot of the other files on British PoWs at the NA (Kew)

Mr Monsstar,

Do you have any records of Sgt. Henry Waller of 17th Manchesters captured April 1916? I may have asked you before and apologies if that;s the case.

Tim

Unless you are a lottery winner or philanthropist, beware. Many of the ebooks that you can buy from this website are available as free downloads from archive.org.

e.g.

http://archive.org/search.php?query=Map%20of%20the%20Prison%20Camps%20in%20Germany%20and%20Austria%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts

Free

http://www.prisonersofwar1914-1918documents.com/downloads---section-1.php

£2.99

John

• 1 year later...

Whilst researching for my latest book: 'The Chalfonts and Gerrards Cross at War', I was contacted by a lovely lady from my village whose father, Sgt Bill Wager of the 1/16 London Rifle Regiment had been a POW in Gustrow [sorry, can't get the umlaut " over the u] POW camp in NE Germany during WW1.

She kindly lent me her father's album containing some unique photos of his time in the camp and allowed me to publish many of them in the book. It seems local photographers were encouraged to visit the camp and to take posed photos of individuals and staged group photos which the POWs could purchase using the camp credits they had earned (many of them through hard labour at the local sugar factory). The photographers sometimes brought their props along and some of the staged scenes look so incongruous - groups of badly uniformed and gaunt men posing in front of scenic backdrops, by frilly curtains or alongside aspidistras. It is amazing to scan the faces however and see all races, nationalities and uniforms. There are Russian Cossacks, Japanese sailors, British merchant seamen and Lascars, Montenegrins, Italians et al.

One gets the feeling, when looking at the photos, that, as well as being for propaganda purposes, these were intended to reflect the 'great adventure' the men had embarked upon. Some of Bill's photos are inscribed on the back in English or German, making it clear that the men exchanged photos with each other, just as foreign choirs used to do at Llangollen Eisteddfod during my school years. It is poignant to see a photo of a Russian in Cossack shirt and trousers and to read the inscription, 'To Bill, from your Russian comrade' etc.

It seems the Gustrow POWs bought, from their earnings, local stone to create a beautiful war memorial within the camp, and there are photos of a parade held before it, and indeed of the stone mason at work creating the monument. Online however, I found a more recent image of the monument which was used by Russian tank troops for target practice during WW2. There are images of the camp hospital (Lazarett) where Bill was taken with a severe thigh wound, and of them workshops and laundry and even of the camp concerts and band practice.

The photos were so numerous and unique and I was privileged to be allowed to use them. My local branch of Western Front Association have kindly invited me to give a talk and slideshow including these next February (2015). If anyone should be interested, my book, a substantial and well illustrated paperback, is on sale at bookshop and giftshops in The Chalfonts & Gerrards Cross, or online at:-

http://www.feedaread.com/books/The-Chalfonts-and-Gerrards-Cross-at-War-9781784073947.aspx [Author name DJ Kelly]. I shall try and post some of the photos on here if I can however.