Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On Vardar LZ 85 and sailors.

Revan

Greetings,

I don't remember, if I had added this picture on the forum. I think, not.

I have this photo-postcard with LZ 85 in my collection. I think, these sailors are British (if not a mistake):

VardarLZ85_zps1f436879.jpg

Sailors1_zpsed9ce601.jpg

Sailors2_zps9d71b75b.jpg

For him, I don't know if a sailor, but I add:

Man1_zps7819954a.jpg

I add these faces, if families come here.

I'm not an expert on Navy uniforms. But, it is sure, not a French sailor on this photograph.

Regards.

Edited by Revan

I will tempt to read a name of ship on their Navy hats (I don't know words in English). But it is not sure that I can.

Hi,

I am not absolutely sure, but some could very well be members of the crew from HMS Agememnon. HMS Agememnon was credited with the destruction of the LZ85 and so it looks likely that some are from this ship.

I have attached another postcard that I believe are also members of the crew of HMS Agamemnon.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Ian.

post-72772-0-26374700-1364337786_thumb.j

Hello Ian,

Beautiful photograph!

Thank you.

Maybe, the same sailor with his suspender (from the Right, second on your photograph).

Regards.

Edited by Revan

Hi,

I am glad the postcard I uploaded throws some light on your postcard and the person wearing the braces certainly looks the same. I am pretty sure that most of the people in both postcards are from the Agamemnon. TB18 also had a hand in the demise of the Zeppelin and there was debate at the time of which ship should be named responsible for the Zeppelin's destruction. Many ships in the bay and on shore guns fired at the LZ85, but most fell short. The Agamemnon scored a hit and as the Zeppelin drifted helplessly towards the mouth of the Vardar, the TB18 was seen to finish her off. Many souvenir hunters made their way to the wreckage for keepsakes. The postcard you uploaded I also have and brought this along with a few others belonging to a member of Agamemnon's crew (or so I was told), this leads me to believe that most are from this ship rather than from the TB18 or other vessels that were involved.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Ian

Hello Ian,

Thank you very much, for your answer.

I hope the families will come here a day.

I will tempt an enlargement on military Navy hats (I am, sorry, I don't know in English).

Best regards.

I will tempt an enlargement on military Navy hats (I am, sorry, I don't know in English).

Unfortunatly, no success for to read very well.

I agree about the Agamemnon.

If I find anything else out concerning the men in the postcard, I will be sure to let you know.

Hello Ian,

Thank you.

Me too. If I find anything else.

I know an other photograph, it by an old newspaper. I will add it.

Greetings.

Edited by Revan

Hello,

On old newspaper "Sur le vif":

Navy_zps5528d27a.jpg

I don't know, if it could be the same day.

He is a French sailor at the right (impossible to read texts).

Greetings.

Edited by Revan

• 3 years later...

Thanks Mark,not seen these before.

My grandfather was on the Aggie from 1915-1919, trained as a range finder, shame he's not on the photos.

John

John,

There are some hidden gems on the forum and I am glad I brought this back. Your Grandfather would undoubtedly have known some of the men in the photographs they may have even been his mates.

He may well have known them, unfortunately we lost him during WW2 so information I have about his naval career is very patchy. I have some of his letters home, his naval records, and a solitary photo album of some his service (1915-1941), sadly at the time it was not deemed necessary to record his life in full.

I do believe that Pal seaJane's grandfather was an officer on the Aggie at the same time

John

Nothing so classy as an officer ;) .He was a torpedo gunner's mate, probably still a Petty Officer at that time.

I have seen pictures very much like those in the original post from the Imperial War Museum collection.

My grandfather, Richard William Marsh.post-33278-0-47635700-1462135109_thumb.j

Whoop , hope I'm forgiven for my mistake, but I'm sure he deserved to be an officer(didn't they all!)

Checked back on some of my early post and looks like I have confused myself, the age thing working. The discussion was around the traits of those officers serving on the Aggie at the time of the Dardanelles incursion.

John