Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glos regiment badge question

arboskittler

I've come across a Gloucestershire regiment bad which I've assumed may be a 'back badge'?

My question is this....... On searching the internet it seems that all images for Glos badges show the Sphinx facing left whereas on this badge it is facing to the right?

All comments welcome.

Cheers,

Andy.

post-72598-0-73965400-1364139361_thumb.j

Thanks Roger.

Would you think that the sphinx facing the wrong way was deliberate so as to show that the wearer wasn't representing the regiment 'officially'?

Andy.

Maybe.

I haven't got my Gloucestershire Regiment badge book with me at present but i'm fairly sure the

right hand collar dog for an officer was facing inward to the right.

Simon.

Thanks Roger.

Would you think that the sphinx facing the wrong way was deliberate so as to show that the wearer wasn't representing the regiment 'officially'?

Andy.

Probably down to the maker of the broach and the picture/badge he was working from, if as Simon says they were working to a right hand collar badge then the sphinx would indeed be facing to the left. Also it didn't really matter as the badge was un-official.

Robert

I don't think they used the collar dog as their basis as it is a completely different design

to the brooch apart from the right facing Sphinx.

I agree with Robert that it was probably artistic licence and the fact it was unofficial.

Simon.

It does look like a regimental lapel pin, or sweetheart brooch.

Whilst a sphinx appears on several cap badges, Glosters I knew would always tell me that their was the only version portrayed with female breasts. True or not, I don't know,