Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification

Riding shotgun

Hi

Can anyone identify this uniform for me please, i am afraid i don't know much about this type of uniform of the insignia, unfortunately no cap on show

Thanks

Colin

post-97783-0-72725400-1364137348_thumb.j

Sorry Old Owl but a Gunner sergeant would have a gun badge above his chevrons. This chap is more likely a Royal Engineer sergeant, although his buttons are not GS and there seems to be no shoulder title present. Are there any Fusilier regiments with sergeants wearing grenades above their chevrons?

He is a Royal Engineer (RE) sergeant and wearing the gilding metal universal grenade above his stripes, although a cloth grenade was also used. Thanks to Jules enlargement's I can also confirm that the buttons are regimental and RE too.

post-599-0-77780900-1364155920_thumb.jpg

What period would this be as i assume he is wearing best blues? as it's not the WW1 duty issue pattern

He is wearing 1902 pattern service dress and the two darts at his collar indicate a period between either side of WW1.

He is wearing 1902 pattern service dress and the two darts at his collar indicate a period between either side of WW1.

Does the jacket have rifle patches and pocket pleats? I cannot tell but it does not look to have rifle patches,probably indicting simplified wartime pattern.

Chris

Does the jacket have rifle patches and pocket pleats? I cannot tell but it does not look to have rifle patches,probably indicting simplified wartime pattern.

Chris

Yes Chris, well spotted, it does look as if it is probably a simplified pattern jacket and that would date its most likely provenance to (from memory) between July 1914 and September 1915, although they could occasionally still be seen later in the war.