Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Farraday,

Guest neilemeryuk

Guest neilemeryuk

Hi there, i wondered if anyone can tell me anything about this rather wonderful pic of my next door neighbours father s. farraday i believe he was a stoker and the name on the silk looks like an HMS Royal? I wonder if anyone could identify what the insignia is on his right arm? Id be really grateful if i could give her some information on her dad and his service/rank etc. Thanks a million for your help in advance.

All the best

Neil

post-24-1094509480.jpg

Or HMS Royal Sovereign, Or HMS Royalist, Or HMS Royal Arthur. There are also a few merchant ships taking into naval service with names that begin with Royal: Royal Scot, an armed boarding steamer, and converted paddle minesweepers Royal Pearl, Royal Ruby, and Royal Sapphire though I'm not sure to what degree these would have their own cap bands. (There may be others beyond those I list.)

Best wishes,

Michael

Neil,

It is quite dark, but I would say its a Stoker rate badge.

His Service record would be available at the PRO in ADM 188.

Bryan

Guest neilemeryuk

Thanks a million for that info guys, youre stars- i have just today seen a picture that i will try and get a scan of with about 20 of him and his mates standing in front of what looks like a troopship full of aussie soldiers! so what with the ideas here and the pic i have somewhere to start- again i thank you all and ill keep you updated

Best

Neil