Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal rank inscription

Speedy

Hello folks, I have received help here in relation to the format for inscription on the WW1 trio of medals. I wish to purchase copies ( marked as such ) but I'm unsure as to what rank would have been inscribed due to demotion in rank by the issue period for these medals in 1918. For example.

14-15 Star: rank at this time was leading stoke, but in 1918 when medal issued rank was stoker 1st which is what is on medal card.

The same applies to BWM and VM issued in 1919 for period 14-18 & 14-19 respectfully, when leading stoker was the rank until 1918 when rank was stoker 1st.

I wish to have these inscribed correctly and would appreciate any thoughts on the appropriate rank.

Thank you for once again for your assistance in this matter.

Speedy

Do you have his medal Index Card Speedy?

I don't have access at the moment as I'm overseas, but from memory these medals were issued to my GF whilst he was aboard ship in 1918 and his rank at that time was stoker 1st class, having previously held the leading rank! I have his service record which indicates the periods in the ranks.

I have TNA download which gives his name,service number, the 3 medals listed and whom they were issued to. The document has reams of pages with names and the details mentioned recorded, in my ignorance I believe this to be the index card?

Thank you for the interest Kitchener's Bugle.

Speedy

I forgot he was in the Navy Speedy.....