Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Biscot camp, Luton

Riding shotgun

Hi

Can anyone help with a query, we are trying to find out when the Biscot Camp in Luton closed after WW1, i have searched the net but nothing positive, we know it was still open on 19th July 1919 as the RFA was called in from there during the peace day riots when they burned the town hall down but thats as far as we can get.

Thanks

Colin

Colin

Any idea in what area of Luton that the camp was situated in?

Maxi

Hi

The camp was in the Biscot mill area, we foun the following on the Luton timeline.

1916, YMCA Hut opens at Biscot where a huge army camp has sprung up in the vicinity of Argyll Avenue

Colin

360_df31c4014ea99f5ac75ec365f9af03c5.jpg

Colin

I found this picture on Worthopedia which is called 'Farewell to Biscot Camp' but it is so small that I cannot make out the white text going across it.

Maxi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

New Biscot Camp info here. Whilst this entry is very basic at the moment, it contains previously unseen maps and plans that precisely locate the camp and the buildings within. The site that hosts this content, is crowd sourced, so if you have anything to add to the entry, you can register on the site...and add comments. I will include relevant information into the final entry.

Eventually I aim to link the names of staff/trainees to the Biscot Camp entry, allowing for a comprehensive picture of the camp and its functions during WWI.

The site structure will also allow me to compile all the Biscot Knowledge into an online booklet format.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Thank you for this site. I have contributed to the story about Ernest Victor Jackson and posted a picture of him, as he is a cousin of mine. You provided me with some new information too, so again, thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

My grandfather Joseph (Joe) Broadhurst was at Biscot some time after August 1918 until at least February 1919, having previously been in Army Veterinary Corps. The Luton At War site is brilliant. I have 3 photographs of Joe which I'm pretty sure must have been taken at Biscot. He was in the C battery Vaulting Team. In the two vaulting team photos Joe is on the skewbald (brown and white) second from right.

IMG_0001.jpg

C Battery vaulting team_0001.jpg

C Battery vaulting team_0002.jpg

• 3 months later...