Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forces War Records and content from Long, Long Trail

Chris_Baker

At least you are getting something that is relevant or that you might use! I don't

Should I worry about the funeral costs - do they (or the WFA) know something I don't?

"Why worry about funeral costs when for a very reasonable sum etc etc..."

The way the google adsense ads work is as the previous poster says. It matches ads to promotions it believes you're interested in. If you are "ahem" of a certain age, it naturally assumes you must be thinking about those sorts of things. Website owners who sign up to the program to help fund their sites really do have very little say in what ads are displayed. If the viewer spends some of their leisure time browsing, say, sites of a more robust nature, featuring (for example) ladies who appear to have mislaid their clothes... they will likely see ads offering similar services... at least so I'm told. ;-)

(BTW, If you do want to know about funeral costs, I am your man. Have just spent the last few days writing mailpacks about funeral plans!)

To return to the subject of the original post, having also done some work planning the marketing for a future launch of some never-before-seen military records, the research I did into competitors hardly covered FWR with glory for what they offered.

It makes sense for sites offering paid for content to work with people like Chris and LLT because of the commercial benefits of co-operation. But you do it by negotiating to license their valuable content - not by copying it without even a by your leave.

Regards

Ian

At least you are getting something that is relevant or that you might use! I don't

Should I worry about the funeral costs - do they (or the WFA) know something I don't?

Who knows? Do you excavate objects on battlefields? If so there might be no need for a funeral! :whistle:

I just looked again at the WFA homepage and the adverts were for 1. Villeroy and Boch e-shop (I buy porcelain online from them); 2. Cornish Cottages (they think I'm on their mailing list); 3. Eurotunnel (I'm on theirs); 4. FWR (which I'd never visited before Chris posted on his FB about this plagiarism today). I think it's doubtful that the first two have any remote connection with the First World War!

Gwyn

According to V & B on the web ..... 'World War One had a devastating effect on Europe's people and Villeroy and Boch...'

• 1 month later...

This is interesting. I heard today that a similar complaint I had made to ASA about Forces Reunited Ltd had also been upheld. My complaint was against their claim that that the site offers "the most complete record of your military ancestors". It clearly does not. The company has also agreed to clarify exactly what they mean by "name records", providing qualifying text in their marketing. I shall be monitoring their site and maintain my high suspicion levels of this outfit and its claims.

If you're at a loose end or bored with living, try changing the last four figure digit of their URLs to get up a selection of unit information. Almost every page is cut and pasted from either Wikipedia or some other history website.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

I see that FWR appear to have acquired the popular family history forum British-Genealogy.com. It now carries a very large advertising banner. Pity - that used to be quite a good forum.

Chris

Unless I've missed something, I don't see that FWR has acquired the forum. Could it not be that the forum has simply taken advertising?

John

If you're at a loose end or bored with living, try changing the last four figure digit of their URLs to get up a selection of unit information. Almost every page is cut and pasted from either Wikipedia or some other history website.

Sue

Well it beats watching pitch drip!

Spotted this on the British genealogy site: "The main British Genealogy site and forum is sponsored by Forces War Records, the military records site."

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Your original link leads to a 'page unavailable'; presumably FWR's info appears to be identical to that supplied by LLT. If so, I agree that it is disturbing. Hopefully you can get it resolved.

Roxy