Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

seaforth highlanders pilot ?

Guest blueman

post-97826-0-72240300-1363859883_thumb.j

ive just bought this tunic as i thought very interesting,im wondering why this officer has wings on tunic perhaps seconded to rfc <also indicates boar war ?

Many RFC officers wore the tunic of their former regiment with the wings the only indication that they were now in the Flying Corps. It was a sometimes done to show that the man in question had served elsewhere. Your tunic has the ribbons of the MC and the DFC with original horizontal stripes.

Gareth

PS. The South African conflict was the Boer War, from the Afrikaans for 'farmer'

Hi there

Also is that the Territorial Efficiency Medal on the bottom row? And the India General Service Medal just above it? He got around, this chap. Any idea on his name?

All the best

Patrick

I am a little puzzled by the ribbon between the DFC and the KSA---it should be a QSA but bears little resemblance--you cannot have a KSA without a QSA, any ideas?

I think it is made up or worn well after WW I from parts etc. The bottom button on the main jacket is smooth faced to be hidden behind a belt. This was typical of post 1947 jackets for both army and air force. The ribbons suggest an 'oldster' at the beginning of the war, well decorated up to the end and then well into the late 20's or early thirties with the Imperial General Service medal ribbon etc. The medal ribbon if legit would narrow down the likely candidate quickly and should indicate if Seaforth service was likely.

It is not impossible but my hunch is this is a poor set up. You'd need to work pretty hard to sell the story convincingly. Any other markings, labels, pips etc? evidence of rank on the epaulets?

okay - I went through my book on WW I DFC's that list additional awards and there are no officers with this combination from a Highland unit. This not to say it is not slightly possible this reflects post WW I service. But again. I don't like much about this jacket and what it is trying to be.

The bottom button on the main jacket is smooth faced to be hidden behind a belt. This was typical of post 1947 jackets for both army and air force

I think it's a regimental button of two piece construction, where the dome has popped off its plate. (That said, I also have an indisputably 1912 officer's tunic with an original smooth button in the belt position).

As for the ribbon between the DFC and the KSA: I have a number of clasp/ brooch type medal bars of sections of ribbon, where one has fallen off. I think it's just a plain backing, rather than a ribbon.

Yet for all that, I'm not in a position to argue against Scott in respect of the overall combination.

Cheers,

GT.