Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What medals might he be wearing?

Seany

This currently on ebay - any additional info to be gleaned from the photo before I consider putting in an offer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RPC-WW1-Postcard-Two-versions-British-Royal-Garrison-Artillery-Bombadier-/221200045766?pt=UK_Collectables_Postcards_MJ&hash=item33808cd6c6

Certainly he is not a bombardier as seller thinks but can we glean anything else?

Seany

Looks like BW and Victory medal.

John

Looks to me to be a Battery Sergeant Major (BSM) with one wound stripe wearing the Victoy and War Medals, so post War

Sam

I agree with the chaps above. BW and VM

I agree... probably taken on his return but nevertheless excellent images, clearly done by a proffesional.

Looks very young for a BSM but not unusual in WW1

However could the "bombardier" quote refer to his substantive rank, with WOII/BSM being a acting/temporary rank and appointment?

Looks young enough to find himself involved in WW1 (Part 2)

Ian

Looks very young for a BSM but not unusual in WW1

However could the "bombardier" quote refer to his substantive rank, with WOII/BSM being a acting/temporary rank and appointment?

There is little info with the listing, little enough to imply the seller doesn't seem to kno and maybe interpreting the wound stripe as a rank insignia?

Sean,

I think the seller thinks all men in the RGA were bombardiers as he has another card for sale who is a gunner. Pity they are not named.

Kevin